free website stats program Air Filter's | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Air Filter's

From all the post's here and all the previous post's in different thread's the two post's in this thread are the first negative post's Ive seen on the K&N filter. I would think with the millions of filters that K&N has produced there would be more about this ?? Anyways I have my new air filter, with pieces put together I have a S.E. with the HD-0800 K&N. It's the current backplate with the breather tubes into the throttle body. Thanks for all the opinion's they were much appreciated. Tim

Can pictures of the two different set's of rings be posted , stock air filter rings versus high quality free flow air filter rings with approximately the same amount of miles on each set. Would pictures with a micrometer be able to show the wear differences I would think if it were half, it would be noticable. Tim

Sorry don't have them. I moved in the last two months from one province to another. The rings where out of a Japanese sports car with twin turbos, that had K&N filters. My neighbour at the time an auto mechanic,
( snowmobile/car racer/builder ) was showing me the difference in the stock verses used rings. He told me that this was a fairly common occurence in vehicles running high flow non stock air filters on the steet. I've often wished I'd taken a couple of the worn rings but didn't.

It was really hard to believe the difference in wear between a stock set out of a used engine and you wouldn't need a micrometer to see the difference. An ordinary ruler or tape measure would work, the wear was that noticeable. All he had to do was re-ring the engine to make it run.

I just added my 2 cents and experience for what its worth. Use what you wish but I'm a bit of a realist and if you where trying to flow water through a filter, the one with larger holes would flow more water. Therefore it would flow more air/grit. It only makes sense to me.

Not trying to cause problems, just posting a different point of view.

I've never been a fan of high flow through air filters verses stock. The reason is that the filter can't flow more air without letting more grit/dust/whatever into the intake. It's just physics at work.

The only way I know that you can flow more air without letting in the grit is to somehow stack stock filters together so that you double the filtered area.

I've seen the rings out of engines that have had a steady diet of high flow filters and they are half the thickness of stock. Indicating that more grit is getting into the intake.

I went the K&N route, after a 1500 mile check I cleaned out the grit in the throttle body and the IAC port I went back to the stock HD $24. "air cleaner" element.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Sorry don't have them. I moved in the last two months from one province to another. The rings where out of a Japanese sports car with twin turbos, that had K&N filters. My neighbour at the time an auto mechanic,
( snowmobile/car racer/builder ) was showing me the difference in the stock verses used rings. He told me that this was a fairly common occurence in vehicles running high flow non stock air filters on the steet. I've often wished I'd taken a couple of the worn rings but didn't.

It was really hard to believe the difference in wear between a stock set out of a used engine and you wouldn't need a micrometer to see the difference. An ordinary ruler or tape measure would work, the wear was that noticeable. All he had to do was re-ring the engine to make it run.

I just added my 2 cents and experience for what its worth. Use what you wish but I'm a bit of a realist and if you where trying to flow water through a filter, the one with larger holes would flow more water. Therefore it would flow more air/grit. It only makes sense to me.

Not trying to cause problems, just posting a different point of view.

I would sure like to see this. I have run K&N for years and never had any of these problems nor have I seen this, not saying it is not true I believe in K& N R&D or they would not have stayed in business this long, they have been making filters for all vehicles for a long time and I stand behind them, remember you have to keep them oiled this helps to trap the finer particles, this is not new tech, older cars and big rigs use lube finers (SPELLING NOT CORRECT) oil bath to trap in coming dirt from air JMO

If the K&N filter was oiled and not let set for oil to wick into the cleaned gauze, you will have a problem with them. That being said, if you oil, let wick in, check and spot re-oil so filter element is a solid red you won't have a problem. Oiling is critical to the filters performance. I've used them for 20 some years and never had dirt/crud problem. With the K&N air filter the engine oil always stayed cleaner. Just my experience with K&N.
wilks3

Back