free website stats program Air Filter's | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Air Filter's

What is meant by that is you have more induction growl with a low restriction filter which is the suction growl that is not muffled by the stock air box.

What is meant by that is you have more induction growl with a low restriction filter which is the suction growl that is not muffled by the stock air box.

That wouldn't really be "noise" then would it? Wouldn't that be more like the sweet sound of ........? riding a Harley.

The new SE filter is NOT washable(throw away). When it came time to change, the SE filter it was $42 and the K&N was $56. No brainer.

I've never been a fan of high flow through air filters verses stock. The reason is that the filter can't flow more air without letting more grit/dust/whatever into the intake. It's just physics at work.

The only way I know that you can flow more air without letting in the grit is to somehow stack stock filters together so that you double the filtered area.

I've seen the rings out of engines that have had a steady diet of high flow filters and they are half the thickness of stock. Indicating that more grit is getting into the intake.

Like CAPITOL JACK says, K&N Filter elements are very well made and hold up to multiple cleaning/oiling operations. The "problem" with the OEM H-D SE element, is that it goes "soft" and starts to lose it's shape after a 1/2 dozen cleaning/oiling operations. The K&N element is about $60-$80, a worthwhile long term investment! :s

CAPITOL JACK??:lolrolling:lolrolling

I've never been a fan of high flow through air filters verses stock. The reason is that the filter can't flow more air without letting more grit/dust/whatever into the intake. It's just physics at work.

The only way I know that you can flow more air without letting in the grit is to somehow stack stock filters together so that you double the filtered area.

I've seen the rings out of engines that have had a steady diet of high flow filters and they are half the thickness of stock. Indicating that more grit is getting into the intake.

I had a parts guy at chicago harley try to talk me out of a k&n filter for the very reason you're stating. He also said something about the map sensor being prone to developing problems b'cuz of a high flow filter letting more (EDIT) through affecting this sensor. Makes sense I guess but whether any of this is true or not...I have no idea.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:

Can pictures of the two different set's of rings be posted , stock air filter rings versus high quality free flow air filter rings with approximately the same amount of miles on each set. Would pictures with a micrometer be able to show the wear differences I would think if it were half, it would be noticable. Tim

CAPITOL JACK??:lolrolling:lolrolling

LOL, I just noticed that too, and I stand behind my statements about K&N air filters, they have done their R&D and have been around for a long time and I have not seen any ill affects from using them and I have ridden a lot of bikes and miles to prove it, signed.... Capital Jack:s

Back