air filter

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by softail00, Jul 13, 2009.

1. softail00

softail00 Active Member

What are the syptoms of a dirty or clogged air filter?

2. Animal

Animal Active Member

Take it out and try to shine a light thru the filter, if you can't see the light it's dirty.

3. gs34

gs34 Junior Member

Sluggish performance, poor fuel economy, black smoke out the exhaust, higher than normal exhaust temperatures.

4. doj1975

doj1975 Active Member

My first bike was an 800 Kawasaki Vulcan. About 1 year after I bought it, it started losing power. I could tell it was not accelerating nearly as fast. I pulled my air filter and it was clogged pretty bad but I could still see light. I replaced it with a new filter and it was like a different bike.

5. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Generally, if you wait for a "seat of the pants" symptom, you have waited too long. Inspect at least every time you do an oil change (typically 3-5,000 Miles. Visual inspection is best, if element is pleated paper or fabric it should be able to be cleaned pretty much as new...if gas or oil soaked replace. If K&N there is a cleanup and reoiling with very light K&N using their procedure. It is in the self help section.