Air filter recommendations

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Irish Hog, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Irish Hog

Irish Hog Junior Member

I am looking for a new air filter kit. I am looking to get rid of the big "football" air filter cover and get something modern looking. Can someone recommend and complete kit for a 01 Dyna Wideglide carburated? I looked at the Arlen Ness big suckers and they look pretty sharp, but was not sure if they were just for the EFI only. Thanks

2. Chopper

Chopper Senior Member

3. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

I PUT THE NESS BIG SUCK ON MY 2006 1200 R SPORT,,, THE LARGE ROUND AIR COVER IS A REAL NICE ONE...HEAVY....? maybe TOO heavy??

I DID HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE NESS ALUM. BACK HOUSING , BREAKING AWAY WHERE IT BOLTS(3) ONTO THE CARB... THE BOTTOM 2 HOLES BROKE THRU THE ALUM BACK CASTING LEAVING broken washer-looking pcs. THE TOP BOLT was the only one holding... (being over 1 yr. old).....

I didn't argue with anybody and just bot a new unit (back plate and filter),,,, I think the new one is JUST AS THIN AS THE FIRST ONE,,,but no problems YET...

I SURE LIKE THAT ROUND COVER FROM NESS (ordered separate i think 50$)......It does look nice....

Went with HD's SE air on the 09 FLHR and looking to replace the football ornament ....HMmmm maybe off the sporty

signed....BUBBIE

4. murf

murf Active Member

I don't have it but I like the "rsd designs" filter. Doesn't cover up the jugs, comes in chrome, polished and black I think. Has a 5 point star type of design. Runs around $400

5. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Smitty - the Roland Sands Design air cleaner looks familiar, but I think you got the better deal with your Lenale horn cover on the other side! LOL :laugh

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  6. Irish Hog

Irish Hog Junior Member

7. Chopper

Chopper Senior Member

Stage 1 is a free breathing air cleaner, tune exhaust, w/tune carb or efi. A stage 2 is the same but add big bore jugs and some times a cam.

You will have to retune your carb for a free breathing air cleaner. I recommend picking up a tuners kit from your HD dealer, it makes it very simple and easy to tune yourself.

DYNO JET® KIT 3
    A premium performance modification kit for models with Original Equipment CV carburetors. Works well with free breathing intake and exhaust. For race application only.
    29604-00A $74.95
    Fits ’00-’06 carbureted Twin Cam-equipped models

8. walleye

walleye Junior Member Contributor

Chopper:
    My 09 Ultra has the "football" looking cover, although I did a stage one. Basically removing the back half to increase air flow. Screaming Eagle but still the football look. That link you posted, would I have to do anything other than replace the cover for this, or would it require all changed, filter and all?
    Thanks.

9. Chopper

Chopper Senior Member

That cover is pretty cool and at $25.95 it's not a bad deal. If you all ready have the S/E cleaner it will fit, but they list the S/E cleaners that the cover works with so I would double check, if you don't know what the part number is for the cleaner you have now you can look it up in the catalog link. I have friends that have that cover set up and it breather very well, better then with the football cover.

10. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

It looks really nice, and uses a K&N element which are known for their high performance, reuseable and reoiled it can trap and hold more dirt as well.

[​IMG]