free website stats program Air filter recommendations | Harley Davidson Forums

Air filter recommendations

Irish Hog

I am looking for a new air filter kit. I am looking to get rid of the big "football" air filter cover and get something modern looking. Can someone recommend and complete kit for a 01 Dyna Wideglide carburated? I looked at the Arlen Ness big suckers and they look pretty sharp, but was not sure if they were just for the EFI only. Thanks

I am looking for a new air filter kit. I am looking to get rid of the big "football" air filter cover and get something modern looking. Can someone recommend and complete kit for a 01 Dyna Wideglide carburated? I looked at the Arlen Ness big suckers and they look pretty sharp, but was not sure if they were just for the EFI only. Thanks

I PUT THE NESS BIG SUCK ON MY 2006 1200 R SPORT,,, THE LARGE ROUND AIR COVER IS A REAL NICE ONE...HEAVY....? maybe TOO heavy??

I DID HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE NESS ALUM. BACK HOUSING , BREAKING AWAY WHERE IT BOLTS(3) ONTO THE CARB... THE BOTTOM 2 HOLES BROKE THRU THE ALUM BACK CASTING LEAVING broken washer-looking pcs. THE TOP BOLT was the only one holding... (being over 1 yr. old).....

I didn't argue with anybody and just bot a new unit (back plate and filter),,,, I think the new one is JUST AS THIN AS THE FIRST ONE,,,but no problems YET...

I SURE LIKE THAT ROUND COVER FROM NESS (ordered separate i think 50$)......It does look nice....

Went with HD's SE air on the 09 FLHR and looking to replace the football ornament ....HMmmm maybe off the sporty

signed....BUBBIE

I don't have it but I like the "rsd designs" filter. Doesn't cover up the jugs, comes in chrome, polished and black I think. Has a 5 point star type of design. Runs around $400

Smitty - the Roland Sands Design air cleaner looks familiar, but I think you got the better deal with your Lenale horn cover on the other side! LOL :laugh

Speed_7_Chrome_onbike.jpg

Last edited:
Stage 1 is a free breathing air cleaner, tune exhaust, w/tune carb or efi. A stage 2 is the same but add big bore jugs and some times a cam.

You will have to retune your carb for a free breathing air cleaner. I recommend picking up a tuners kit from your HD dealer, it makes it very simple and easy to tune yourself.

DYNO JET® KIT 3
A premium performance modification kit for models with Original Equipment CV carburetors. Works well with free breathing intake and exhaust. For race application only.
29604-00A $74.95
Fits ’00-’06 carbureted Twin Cam-equipped models

My favorite is the S/E heavy breather the ness big suckers are very good also and if you like the open air look here's a link to one of harley's new ones.

Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

Chopper:
My 09 Ultra has the "football" looking cover, although I did a stage one. Basically removing the back half to increase air flow. Screaming Eagle but still the football look. That link you posted, would I have to do anything other than replace the cover for this, or would it require all changed, filter and all?
Thanks.

Chopper:
My 09 Ultra has the "football" looking cover, although I did a stage one. Basically removing the back half to increase air flow. Screaming Eagle but still the football look. That link you posted, would I have to do anything other than replace the cover for this, or would it require all changed, filter and all?
Thanks.
That cover is pretty cool and at $25.95 it's not a bad deal. If you all ready have the S/E cleaner it will fit, but they list the S/E cleaners that the cover works with so I would double check, if you don't know what the part number is for the cleaner you have now you can look it up in the catalog link. I have friends that have that cover set up and it breather very well, better then with the football cover.

Back