free website stats program Air filter cleaner | Harley Davidson Forums

Air filter cleaner

The K&N is about the best. The dealer sells a paper filter for the stage 1 that is cleanable but it doesn't get oiled.

For cleaning, I spray mine with anything that's handy, like a strong mix of simple green. Let it sit a few minutes and swish is a shallow pan of water. I never let this water get into the inside of the element. There might be grit that would not get rinsed out. For re-oiling, I've always used K&N spray.

Air Filter cleaning products

I must not have phrased the question quite right, sorry.

I have a stage 1 S/E air cleaner with filter #290402-04B other than K&N filter detergent is there another product that is more affordable and does just as well?:33:

I thought you were asking about the filter itself :D

Pretty much any household cleaner will clean the K&N. Use a pan and only get the outside of the pleats in the cleaner, not the inside of the pleats, no compressed air to dry it either.

I have used a Pro strength Orange Cleaner for tough to do jobs. I got it at Lowes in a gallon jug, but it probably comes in smaller sizes too. I use the Harley Screaming Eagle air cleaner. First, I pour some orange cleaner in a small pan, ,maybe 1/2" or so. Next, I roll the air cleaner in the solution, maybe 3 or 4 complete rounds. Let it set for ten minutes or so, while that orange stuff cuts the oil and grease. Lastly I take it outside and turn the hose on it from the inside pointing outward, not a high pressure stream, but some, enough to push the softened gunk out of the filter. Now, let the filter sit overnight to dry. Don't blast it with the air hose. Next day, it is nice and clean and ready to install. I have done this with my current filter at each fluid change. After five cleanings, it still looks new. What really screws one up is when you overfill the crankcase and it pukes the air filter full of oil. That will make it extra hard to breath and over time the oil drys out and turns harder than rooster lips.

Retrop got your post...'cept " --harder than rooster lips." :lolrolling I kinda went "cheap" and use an S&S Tear Drop aircleaner, that has a replacement Spectre hi performance aircleaner element for $7.95 which I toss after a few cleanings (tap and gently use light compressed air from inside out, if oily or greasy I would probably just replace it, or at 10,000 miles just because).

Last edited:
i use k&n cleaners for all of my air filters cars and bike.it seems to work the best on getting the dirt and old oil off the filter.like the others said, never use high pressure or fixed stream on the filter itself.it damages the cotton in the filter.u don't want any dirt getting through and damaging ur carb.that would be a bad day......:devil

Back