free website stats program air cleaner setting code p0505 | Harley Davidson Forums

air cleaner setting code p0505

nascar7613

2004 SE Electra, replaced the screamin eagle air cleaner with a performance machine air cleaner. All was fine for a couple miles, then I went to slow down and the engine would not slow down, had to shut the bike off and had to ride it that way until I got home. The engine was idling around 3000 rpm and it set code p0505. Took the air cleaner off, checked to see if the sealed idle screw might have moved, which it did not, the throttle is closing all the way, the IAC motor traveled out then parked when I shut the ignition off. Cleared the code and started the bike with the air cleaner off, everything worked normally. There is nothing on the backing plate of the air cleaner that can interfere with the throttle linkage or anything like that. Put the air cleaner back on, and it idled very high and set the code again. Took the air cleaner back off, and everything was normal again and the code was gone. I cannot see anything about the air cleaner that would cause the bike to do this, but I'm obviously missing something. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yea, cleaned the IAC. Wonder if when bolting the backing plate on if it is slightly pulling on the intake causing an intake leak. Bolts on easily but it causes the problem every time I bolt on the backing plate, when I take off the backing plate it goes back to normal.

Did you buy the PM air cleaner new? I guess this is FI? I'm leaning towards wrong fitment for year model.
If idle increases with just the backing plate, no filter, cover etc. you might check to see if it is pulling on one of the throttle cables. You could also check if the intake bolts are loose on the heads. If not, the Induction module screws to the manifold. Everything is pretty much solid mount, but if you can move it by hand without ANY A/C hardware mounted then you got a problem.
tourbox

Back