free website stats program Air Cleaner Kits | Harley Davidson Forums

Air Cleaner Kits

stugotts

This topic has probably already been beat to death so accept my apologies. I have an 08 Dyna with really no mods, just a TFI module and factory pipes punched out. I would like to add a performance air cleaner but really don't know which would be best. SE? Ness Big Sucker? Any feedback will be appreciated.

The ness would probably be the less expensive and it uses a filter made by airaide which is very close to the K&N. The stage 1 from HD is a pretty sturdy unit and that's what I run. Only problem is that the HD one comes with a paper filter.
This is what I did but your 08 would be different part numbers.

Build Your Own Stage 1 - Harley Davidson Community

It's a matter of choice which one you prefer.

since we're on the topic of aircleaners. I was always wondering what the differnce is between replacing the factory air cleaner with a k&n filter and going with the whole stage 1 air cleaner kit.?

the difference is flow. The replacement for the stock filter is about half the height of the K&N filter in the stage 1.

For most stock motors, the replacement will work fine but if your motor had cams and head work, then the taller K&N in the stage 1 kit would be a better choice.

This will give you an idea.

Air Filter CFM ratings - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks Glider, I got one more for ya on this one. is there such a thing as too much flow. like putting a stage 2 on a stock motor with pipes. Do you think it would run better, the same or not make a difference?:eam

Thanks Glider. Curious, when you say the SE is sturdy are you implying the others are not? I don't mind spending more to get more. The make your own kit makes good money sense but I found the website a tad confusing with a margin of error. Maybe it's just me. Anyway, I'm leaning towards the SE kit with the paper filter for now and maybe change to a K&N filter later. Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks Glider. Curious, when you say the SE is sturdy are you implying the others are not? I don't mind spending more to get more. The make your own kit makes good money sense but I found the website a tad confusing with a margin of error. Maybe it's just me. Anyway, I'm leaning towards the SE kit with the paper filter for now and maybe change to a K&N filter later. Thanks again for the advice.

Just from hearsay, I have heard that some kits had a problem with cracking backplates, not sure but it may have been the ness unit.

Thanks Glider, I got one more for ya on this one. is there such a thing as too much flow. like putting a stage 2 on a stock motor with pipes. Do you think it would run better, the same or not make a difference?:eam

Don't think there would be any problem with too much flow as long as it is filtered. Larger capacity in the flow department will lean things out a tad but proper fuel tuning will result in a tad more power then.

I went from the K&N (HD0800) filter on a carbed bike in the past to the zippers replacement which is 5/8 of an inch taller and had to up the low jet size by one size because it was lean.

speaking of air cleaners? whats the good rule of thumb on changing them? I have the SE cleaner with the paper filter and plan on upgrading to one of the K&N filters or something comparable?

I believe the paper ones from harley are washable if it is the stage 1 kit, just don't oil it. They have changed it so many times that it's hard to keep up.
I would clean it once a season or every 10,000 miles which ever comes first.

The K&N number for upgrade on the stage 1 kit is HD 0800 and is available at auto zone and other parts houses on special order for $43

Back