free website stats program air cleaner cover-chrome screw-FXDL | Harley Davidson Forums

air cleaner cover-chrome screw-FXDL

flyin64

98 low rider, 8 inch air cleaner-stock

i have to make a decision to use the standard chrome screw - phillips head with a Live to Ride gold chrome air cleaner cover or to get a #50 torx to match with the rest of the bike bolts/screws

its a bevelled counter sink screw-dont get me wrong - i am not a screw snob but does the torx hold better and torque down better?

what would all you hogs do?

cheers

mark

Most any hollow head type screw Torx or Hex are heat treated and stronger than phil headed screws. Phil head was developed during war time for quick manufacture and mass production assembly, but is a rather poor fastener for reuse or maintaninance, due to small tool contact area and prone to camming out or stripping when torque or removal ..."As if most do it yourselfers never witness this in practice...:newsmile055:

My take is, if the fastener is not high torque critical...or a hardness grade rated #5, #8 or the like, especially ones holding trim pieces like derby or timing cover, it okay to change phil-screw, nuts and bolts to torx or hex socket head highest quality stainless steel fasteners I can find (chrome not so much bacause they are just nickel-chromium plated steel and look good temporarily at best). Insist on finding quality hardened socket head fasteners and you won't be sorry.:s There were some posts on the subject, so do use the Self Help and Search Tab using keywords to find them. If fastener has special hardening, it will have a mark to identify it, and in that case look to marine or aircraft type fasteners...as they are superior to normal (read cheap) commercial/consumer grade fasteners.

Last edited:
cool beans. would you also apply any adhesive to the back side when final install occurs? the ring type stock dyna 80 cu in decal was on with stick tape only and my new jewel will only have my one big bad ss forged armagedon rated screw..lol

Back