free website stats program Aggravating problem and not sure what to call it. | Harley Davidson Forums

Aggravating problem and not sure what to call it.

rolsch

Hello everyone,
My first post. Of all the HD forums out there, I have chosen this one to join and follow because it seems to be a respectful and abundant source of information. So, I thank you in advance for the wealth of knowledge I have already gained.

I have searched here and around the internet and I have't found anything quite matching my situation. I have a carburetted 2002 Deuce I bought new and now has 25K miles. It has stage 1 SE intake with re-jet and Cycle Shack slipons (not drags!). It has run perfectly for years until just recently. I now experience serious... well, that's just it... I'm not sure exactly what I'm experiencing. Serious carb (EDIT), misfiring, or what? At a constant throttle, i.e. not accelerating and not decelerating, I get a cough or hiccup over and over. It feels like a cylinder is not firing with an immediate Pfffft and lurching. Not surging, but more like stumbling. As I said, this happens at a constant throttle. If I crack the throttle, I get strong pull up to high speed. I don't get the problem cruising at high rpm/speed as I just had it out on the freeway yesterday cruising (constant throttle) at about 95mph for a little while trying to "blow out" the (EDIT). Seems like the problem is only at constant throttle between idle and 60mph in any gear.

I have replaced the spark plugs that actually looked a little rich to me. Pulled the float bowl off the carb and cleaned it. Removed the jets and cleaned them. Still having the problem.

It stood with an almost full tank of gas and a battery tender for several months, but I have fresh gas in it now. I really just need to get it ridable for the 40 mile ride to the nearest mechanic for a service, new tires, and a 95" kit. If I can't find a solution, I guess I'll just hobble down there, but I want to make sure I'm not gonna cause any serious damage.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I know some, but not a lot, but I will answer any questions if more info would be helpful. Thanks.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the HDTimeline forum...you will find plenty of fellow riders who will weigh in shortly...in the interim, the info you are looking for is in the Self Help Tab to find carb schematic and operation function diagrams, you may also want to use Search Tab by typing keywords to find related symptoms and solutions.

That said, I would be inclined to believe you picked up some bad gas, or you have a sticking CV diaphram/needle, which may require you to pull the top CV cover, gently remove the rubber diaphram/slide assy and use a tweezers to pull out the retainer and needle assembly. Be very careful not to damage or distort the rubber diaphram, clean all the metal surfaces and remove all traces of varnish using Gumout spray carb cleaner...just do not get any on the rubber parts or painted surfaces!

Get 2 #4 Stainless Steel washers under the needle, and reassemble carefully all the parts properly centered in diaphram and emulsion tube, aligning diapram and slide in carb cutout and spring centered exactly with cover installed and tightened.

Thanks for the info. I was banned on the site until today so I wasn't able to reply. At the moment, I'm not near my bike to see, but would I be able to remove the diaphram and needle without removing the whole carburetor?
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the info. I was banned on the site until today so I wasn't able to reply. At the moment, I'm not near my bike to see, but would I be able to remove the diaphram and needle without removing the whole carburetor?
Posted via Mobile Device

You were on a vacation for language use. If you were banned you wouldn't be back again.:s

you can if your carefull, you can slowly rotate the carb in its gasket - push on only but as its easier to just remove it completely i would do this unless you take the tank off then yep the top of the carb comes apart easily

Yeah, I got home and took a look and it'd probably be best to take the whole thing off. I've never done that though so I'm a little worried about getting the cables etc all back together and working properly. (Isn't that weird, I'm more worried about the throttle cables than the guts of the carb) Then again, I'd just need it to get me about 40 miles to the dealer for my 95" install. I might just have a go at it myself. Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device

You only have to remove the aircleaner, then the front bolt on the tank, to g-e-n-t-l-e-y lift the tank and not damage inlet fitting, hose(s) and wiring. Prop it up with a small block of wood, remove the CV carb top cover screws evenly, moving throttle cable bracket over just enough to lift the cover straight off. There is a spring under tension, so hold it down compressed to get the cover clear, then carefully remove the needle holder (with a tweezers) pay attention to the orientation, as once you have it apart you can then see how it keeps the needle centered and that the whole diaprahm/slide assy is free. If the assy smells like varnish, that is your problem...you have to clean up the works, keep in mind the rubber diaphram is fragile and does not like Gunk carb cleaner.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/fuel_and_carb_related_issues/11048-cv_breakdown_pic.html

http://www.hdtimeline.com/fuel_and_carb_related_issues/11826-cv_carb_cutaway.html

Last edited:
Back