free website stats program Aftermarket shocks for Night Rod Special | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Aftermarket shocks for Night Rod Special

Hello all, just a few lines to let you know about YACUGAR suspension, I fitted progressive fork springs and new rear shocks to my Night Rod, the handling is much improved, no more diving and bottoming out at the front and the wobbling and seesawing cornering at speed is much reduced.
The shocks came in at a total cost of £870,front and rear, I had to wait 7 weeks for the factory to deliver, Yacugar are the ex-employees of White Power shocks when they were based in the Netherlands.

I've only done a couple of hundred miles with the new shocks but I like to ride as if the back of the bike is on fire and I've been out in all the Scotti(EDIT) sh weather on the bumpy back roads and am well impressed with the new shocks, what a difference to the (EDIT) stock suspension.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip, i'll work the odometer, I've ordered the S36K Ohlins rear shocks and Ohlins progressive springs with oil upgrade for the front, cost in UK with VAT added just under £1K but will be worth it in the long run.
I'll do 1000 miles on the standard set up then change to the Ohlins and post a before and after review on the site, the Ohlins set up, designed for the V-Rod family should improve the handling a lot.

Bulldog

Hey bulldog, I also put on a super brace to make handling much better in the turns.

Hello Nightrod Special, Thanks for the Super-brace info, I had to look it up as I'de never heard of it before, is it easy to fit? I can see how it would stiffen up the forks which would reduce the wobbling effect.
I'm keen to fit anything that improves the handling. Can anyone else give me their opinion on super braces, good or bad.

Thanks, Bulldog

although this is not a big problem with Vrods. the wobble you are experiencing at high speed (110 mph and above) does effect some Vrods and most of the time it is due to fall away adjustment or neck bearing tension ,I would suggest either letting your dealer check it out and adjust or getting a service manual and perform/check the adjustments yourself, other wobble factors would be triple clamp alignment (make sure both forks are same height) wheel bearing , brake rotors and r shoes rub, wheel run out ,tire wear and or pressure.but most vroders seem to find the fall away adjustment or nect bearing tensin to be the culpret.there are also rear wheel alignment check to consider but most likly not in this case. I can run my vrod up to 135 mph and its solid as a rock.

Thanks for the info Crocker, I'll read up and check these points out, the bike is handling really good with the new suspension but the handlebars twitch on long fast bends especially downhill bends, on most types of road and straights the bike is solid, I thought the super brace might just eliminate this twitch when cornering fast.

if all checks out well , you might rather consider a damper system, check the one out for the HD destroyer. also look for after market try Sharkey at Vshop he can set you straight (no pun intended.

Hello all, just a few lines to let you know about YACUGAR suspension, I fitted progressive fork springs and new rear shocks to my Night Rod, the handling is much improved, no more diving and bottoming out at the front and the wobbling and seesawing cornering at speed is much reduced.
The shocks came in at a total cost of £870,front and rear, I had to wait 7 weeks for the factory to deliver, Yacugar are the ex-employees of White Power shocks when they were based in the Netherlands.

I've only done a couple of hundred miles with the new shocks but I like to ride as if the back of the bike is on fire and I've been out in all the Scotti(EDIT) sh weather on the bumpy back roads and am well impressed with the new shocks, what a difference to the (EDIT) stock suspension.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

good to see you got your shock in the end bulldog, Have you got a number for a U.K. supplier. all the best dude.

Hello sportshogger, here's the contact info for FTR Suspension UK

info@ftrsuspension.co.uk 01284 752102 their website comes up on Google and is impressive, the salesman is an Aussie who could sell sand to the arabs.
I had a wait of nearly 2 months for the Yacugar shocks but I'm very impressed with them, build quality is excellent also, they came and had been pre adjusted for the Night Rod/Rider weight which I had stated, I also fitted Yacugar progressive springs and oil in the front also, the whole set up wasnt cheap at 870 quid, but worth it, the bike handles really well now.

When I get home next trip I'm going to fit a Super-brace to stiffen up the front and have ordered a set of black sporster bars which I'm going to try for a while as the bike should be a lot easier handled with the 2'' pullback of the sportster bars. Any way I'll post my findings after the mods.

All the best

Bulldog :D

Hello all, just adding an update to the thread, I fitted the super brace and black sportster bars, sundowner seat and a set of Avon Cobras which are far better than the stock dunlops.
After the 5k service I havent experienced any wobbles and the bike is rock steady at all speeds, I switched to amsoil syn oil and the bike is running good, 8K miles on the clock now.
I bought a 2009 Ultra Limited for touring, kept the Night Rod for excitement and am now up to my eyes in debt again,.... but you only live once :s

Sounds like you have the bike setup well, I am running almost the same setup, except I run the progressive 440s IAS on the rear ,and like you travel on some bad roads everyday about 3.5 miles of gravel road and the stiffer setup works well, I here great thing about the Avons on the Vrods and Im going to them real soon myself, here its the best bang for the buck as far as tires . I did the oposite and just sold my bagger ,and because I have seen some nice bagger Vrods comming together out there I decided to go that route with my DX I am adding hard bags now and deciding on faring choice and other touring mods .

Back