free website stats program aftermarket air intake install issues | Harley Davidson Forums

aftermarket air intake install issues

GArebel83

Good afternoon, I recently bought an aftermarket air intake for my 2001 Dyna FXD Superglide. I installed it today, and when i tried to start the bike it took a minute to turn over, once it finally turned over it blew black smoke out of the exhaust pipes and would not idle. I held the choke until the bike warmed up a bit and it eventually stayed on during idle but when I twist the trottle it started to "bog down" if you know what i mean. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

-Stan

it was a Chrome Spike Air Cleaner Intake for Harley-Davidson CV Carburetors. i bought it off demon cycles web site

Recheck your install, do you have ALL gaskets aligned right? No holes covered that should not be? Did it come with instructions?

unfortunatly it did not come with instructions, the gaskets were installed, as soon as I can I will uninstall and reinstall and see if any of the holes were covered.

If you are installing an A/C with more air flow you will need to re-jet to add more fuel.
Not sure if this is your initial problem, but you will be running leaner than you will want to.

Black smoke would tend to indicate that the air fuel ratio is very rich so there is either too much fuel or not enough air
As the air cleaner is new it may be reducing air flow rather than increasing it

Brian

stray dog, I think that may be the issue, I installed the intake but i did not re-jet the carb. I checked my install and decided to take it down the road, once i got out on the street and the wind started blowing the bike was bogging down, so I think i may be getting more air than fuel? does that sound about right?

stray dog, I think that may be the issue, I installed the intake but i did not re-jet the carb. I checked my install and decided to take it down the road, once i got out on the street and the wind started blowing the bike was bogging down, so I think i may be getting more air than fuel? does that sound about right?

more air than fuel makes it leaner. black smoke sounds too rich. did it run fine before you put on this new a/c??? if it did, I'd put it back on. jmho.

Back