free website stats program Aftermarket Air filter | Harley Davidson Forums

Aftermarket Air filter

NewRider

I'm a new rider, so new in fact, that I am not quite sure how to ask the question. I've had my 2009 Sporster since April/May (maybe). I've been spending a ton of money on it trying to get it to the point of where I am comfortable on it. It sputters, drags, coughs, hesitates etc. I took it to HD and they told me I have an aftermarket air filter on it (what do I know...? I bought the bike off the floor). Anyway, they told me that the aftermarket filter is causing it to run lean and told me it needed some "adjustment" to the tune of $150 with no guarantee that it would solve the problem. I'll bite...what will? Higher octane...? Going back to the original type of air filter? I'm looking at the Screamin' Eagle Stage I but have no idea what I am doing and just trusting the guys at the dealership.

HELP!

I dont know what kind of air cleaner it is but it does sound if you are running lean. Check out Doebecks TFI. It is easily added to you bike, you can adjust it and they are a forum sponsor and you are eligible for a discount. Lots of happy customers here.
The possibility exists that you have an intake leak too. Check out the self help section and search function. Hang with us and we'll get you straightened out.

Bodeen

You first need to determine what air filter or air cleaner assembly you have. You may already have a stage 1 air filter. If it is a stage 1 air filter and bike dose not have some type of fueler on it it will exhibit the concern you have.
Sooooo if only a free flowing air filter and not stage 1 air filter install stock filter.
If stage 1 air filter instead of $150.00 for dealer download and a guess, look into this highly recommended TFI,: TFI Tuner From Dobeck Discounted (NEW OFFER) - Harley Davidson Community You will not be dissatisfied....
Are the OE exhaust on bike????

The $150 they quoted you is for the stage 1 download. They should check for you to see if it has already been done. They can tell from the records for the bike in their computer if it was purchased there or they can hook up to it and tell you which download is in the ECM. No doubt they will try to sell you on the download $$$$

My advice is to check out what was posted above and forget the dealer download and get the TFI. You can't go wrong with that being the dealer download is still lean too.

You should determine what intake air cleaner you have if it has an exposed filter around the edges in the rear or if it is sealed up (stock unit). See if you can see the filter looking around the edge from the rear.

That's part of the problem. I don't know what kind of air filter it is and they hav already done the download, so the money is spent to "fix" the problem. Acronyms are always a challenge...TFI?? I'll check out the site. What about the 91 octane? I've used regular unleaded the last two times. Thanks for the suggestions!!!

What about the 91 octane?

The owner's manual suggests using 91 octane. I use 91 all the time. I have used regular in a pinch but wouldn't rely on it. Regular hasn't seemed to cause it to run rough, but the gas milage is slightly less (hardly noticeable). I'd use 91 unless you have a reason not to.

Take the cover off and look at the air filter. If it's a K&N you get a lot more air than stock filter.
For sure step up to premium gas. I bought my 05 Sporty and the dealer himself said just use regular gas. Wrong. Mine also sputtered and when hot it would "run on" when I shut it off. I went to premium gas and it stopped the problem with the 1st fill up. High compression like the Sportsters want premium gas. If you have a K&N filter, or hi-flow filter, do you have free flowing pipes? With more air in and more air out it will change the mapping (computer calculating the air/fuel mix) and that might be the problem.
Does it bubble and pop when you decelerate? That could mean improper fuel mix.
Good luck.

Back