free website stats program After the 30-60-30 | Harley Davidson Forums

After the 30-60-30

recharge

After doing the break in, you say to vary your speed on engine. The question I have how long can you ride at 60mph before changing your revs (10-15min). Also how many miles before engine ok to go any speed?

It's just a bit of common sense applied here. You wouldn't hold exactly 60 MPH for any time but vary it to say 65 then drop to 60 back to 65 , down to 55 and so on. It's more important not to over rev the engine.

Also how many miles before engine ok to go any speed?

Going by what I experienced myself, it took a fair amount of time for my engine to really break in. It wasn't until I hit about 2500 miles, that the engine truly felt broken in. Until that time the engine would not coast on it's own when shut down.

To add to what Hoople posted, I have noticed that the engine seems to run noticeably better after 5000 miles. To me it takes that much to get things honed in to a point of where you can really notice it.

In addition to taking time to break in the engine the biggest thing I noticed was how much better the clutch acted after several thousand miles. The whole bike is breaking in and the break in procedure recommended in the owners manual is great but you need the 30-60-30 to seat the rings first before they glaze over.

Back