free website stats program After battery went out | Harley Davidson Forums

After battery went out

PaPa T

I hate to beat this thing to death. 09 Heritage with original battery. Been on tender all winter. Last Sat. cleaned up bike and come the following fri went to start and not enough juice to turn it over. Put it back on tender and 2 hrs later was ready to go. NOW the problem is on my trip meter on the one that tells me how many miles I can ride before fill-up has turned to 0. Can not get it to ready. Need help or any suggestions.

PaPa T
Nam Vet:wall

If I remember correctly it's a speedometer self-diagnostic that is in the electrical service manual. Hold the reset button "in" while you turn on the ignition. I don't have the step-by-step in front of me.

I don't think this will "fix" anything. It gets you into the diagnostic mode. There is a list of codes in the self-help area. Have you tried pushing the button a few times to maybe clean the contact? Hoople may have been onto something with his comment about the contact being oxidized.

Just testing. On my 09 Dyna you have to use the side button to zero the trip. Mine is very easy to get to & check with a meter. Sounded like bike was in winter storage and figured maybe side button was sticking.
If your handy & have a meter, you can test switch directly which would even be better.
Attachment is not Softail but should be close.

Attachments

• Reset.pdf
    446.4 KB · Views: 12
Here is an update on trip meter. Checked battery and everything seemed fine. Took it out and had it test on a larger machine and showed it only had 95 cold cranking amps. Replace battery and at first trip meter still showed loe. Took it for a ride and everything started working again. There was no code found on bike. Any way I'm up and rideing again looking forward for long riding season. Thankjs for all your help. This site rocks

PaPa T
Nam Vet :p

Back