free website stats program Advice, please, on bringing a bike back to life | Harley Davidson Forums

Advice, please, on bringing a bike back to life

SilverFoXD

Contributor
I'm looking for advice on bringing back to life a bike that has sat for at least 10 years. While I have no intention of letting my 2007 SuperGlide go, I am considering restoring this 1980 Moto Guzzi V 1000 SP.

Price is right, free, as the guy is moving out of state and doesn't want to pay the moving cost when he knows he will not get around to restoring it for years, if ever. He is moving his current ride, a Victory C92.

The Goose has been outside for the last fIve years or so, stored in the Arizona desert. The covering tarp has rotted away, the seat is shot, paint on the full fairing is faded, tires are junk. I would anticipate replacing all rubber components, bearings, cables, windshield, battery, some wiring, brake components; essentially all exterior expendable parts. The tranny was gone through and rebuilt about three years ago and supposedly the engine was done earlier (don't know to what extent). Instruments supposedly all work. Carbs would need rebuilding as would the front forks. Brake rotors are rusty. No tank dents but don't know about any inside rust or fuel residue. It does come with all the manuals and possibly all the receipts.

I know there have been a lot of Harley's rebuilt from barn finds and other storage situations, so applicable experience is out there. Anything specifically I would need to check, and are there any inherent hidden areas that rear up and demand unreasonable money to fix? Don't want the project to become a Moby Dick, just to get the bike up and reliablel, looking good, and either keep as a second bike or sell. I can do a lot of the work myself but do expect some outside (i.e. expensive) assistance in a few areas but want to keep those under control.

Its a tourer, used originally for some longer trips out of Colorado, and looks stock but the web is full of cafe racer conversions. Don't know if the conversions are a reaction to restoration difficulties or not, or if the owners just wanted a different style.

Appreciate any and all advice.

I would go to a Moto Guzzi site IF you don't get what you need from US here on HDT...

I thought to get a New one (Guzzi) a few years back (06 model year) but got the 1200 sport R instead... Too much HD Dope running thru my veins.

Good luck with your MONSTER project.:newsmile105:

signed....BUBBIE

Thinking a little more about your Guzzi project.

A Moto Guzzy site would probably have an abundance of Used/New Parts you'll need and they would be less expensive thru a Guzzi Club Site..Think???

BUT Keep us informed of your Progress Please.......

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks, Bubbie.

Been to a couple MG sites, not much on the SP models as apparently they were not too popular then and not many were sold. Their replacement, a Le Mans model, is the more desirable one.

Did find one site with parts, can get most of the cosmetic stuff there but what I really need is info on what type problems people run into when restoring an older bike. This one looks rough but according to my friend it is mechanically sound.

But the devil is in the details.

I had a 1980 le mans that was left to deteriorate when I went overseas with the British army I did a full restoration in 1987
As I live in a cold damp climate the big issue was rust
Worst problem was getting the front and rear engine mount bolts out due to corrosion
Otherwise it was a strip back to bare metal and re paint frame and all metal parts replace fork stanchions I replaced all the frame bearings but missed the cardian joint support bearing which collapsed after a few miles
As I remember all the big guzzis had a lot of parts that were shared across the models but there should be a source for most parts somewhere in the world
Brake discs should be cast iron and will rust when stopped in the rain for a short while so always rusty here in Scotland first application of brakes will clean them

Brian

Another thought since it's free, is to go on ebay and check completed listings for to see what some of the parts sold for. It may be worth your while to part it out.

Another thought since it's free, is to go on ebay and check completed listings for to see what some of the parts sold for. It may be worth your while to part it out.

All good info and advice. Will have an opportunity this weekend to more thoroughly inspect and chat with the owner.

Thanks.

Bill

As moto guzzi is a small manufacturer they will buy in parts that are already in circulation so some parts may be available through other brands as the brake system is brembo as was on bmw and ducati of the same time
charging system is bosch and could be the same as the bmw setup ignition system was marelli
her is a link to a breaker of guzzi in france he ships world wide
About Us

Brian

Took the opportunity to look the Goose over pretty well, and chatted with both a MG dealer on parts availability and with an indy who would get any work I couldn't do. Consensus was to leave it alone.

Too far gone for a restoration, would cost a lot more to restore than it would be financially worth. And since it is not my dream bike, didn't see the sense in putting a lot of time and money into something that would sit most of the time. I have enough other projects and hobbies to fill my time and so my SuperGlide will continue get all the fun.

Appreciate all your comments and advice. Great bunch of people on the forum.

After I made my decision my lovely wife chimed in and said that if I wanted a Moto Guzzi, just go down and buy a new one.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks. Good suggestion.

Might get the bike anyway if he is unable to dispose of it before his final move. At that point parting it out would make sense.

Bill

Back