free website stats program advice on installing braided front brake cable w/ABS | Harley Davidson Forums

advice on installing braided front brake cable w/ABS

jzgbx2

Hi there I have just started my winter project on 2008 ultra by removing my inner fairing for painting. Now while the bike is in pieces :(I'm considering more upgrades including braided cluch and f-brake cables. Tracing the routing fron the master cylinder to the ABS module has the cables running under the fuel tank. Does the tank have to be removed or can the cables just be fished out the side of the tank? (Guess I need a updated manual from the 2000 FLH I have) Also considering a chrome caliper since brakes have to be rebled anyway. Chrome levers/MC and new grips on the list too. Also wondering what the thoughts are to tackle the cables and other items. Suggestions? Comments? Thanks all. Mike :good

Hi there I have just started my winter project on 2008 ultra by removing my inner fairing for painting. Now while the bike is in pieces :(I'm considering more upgrades including braided cluch and f-brake cables. Tracing the routing fron the master cylinder to the ABS module has the cables running under the fuel tank. Does the tank have to be removed or can the cables just be fished out the side of the tank? (Guess I need a updated manual from the 2000 FLH I have) Also considering a chrome caliper since brakes have to be rebled anyway. Chrome levers/MC and new grips on the list too. Also wondering what the thoughts are to tackle the cables and other items. Suggestions? Comments? Thanks all. Mike :good

A manual would be a big plus, may be careful and raise and protect the tank enough to run the cables, hopefully bleeding will not be a problem, best check with the dealer first in case they need to use a scanner to energize the ABS pump, JMO

First, getting the Service Manual for your year bike would be a huge help.

Second, it's really not that big a deal to take the fuel tank off and then you have lots more room to work.

Like Jack mentioned, I'm pretty sure there has been a thread about any opening of the ABS system requiring a dealer to use a "magic" box to reset it properly. So, if you are going to do brake mods, do them all at one time.

Should look good but make sure they are approved for use with ABS brakes. Also getting air out of an ABS system can be a bear. I had calipers changed on my 2010 ABS ultra and had to have it bleed 3 times before they got it correct. Even with the Digitech.

Back