free website stats program advice on 06 thru 09 pro and con of years | Harley Davidson Forums

advice on 06 thru 09 pro and con of years

Midwest

I am looking for a used touring bike (electraglide classic or ultra) and need some advice on the years to look at or avoid and why? looking at 06 thru 09 any help or advice is appreciated!

06:
88 ci
old style cam tensioners
old style primary tensioner
old style brakes
old style frame

07:
96 ci
New hydraulic cam tensioners
new hydraulic primary tensioner
old brakes
old frame
larger gas tank??

08:
TBW
Bremo brakes
New IDS
old frame
problematic compensator (in my case anyway)
Change in seat mounting. Fits 08 and above

09:
TBW
IDS
Bremo brakes
New frame
Different exhaust routing

plus a dozen other things I have missed.

I would go with 08 or up unless you get a really good deal on earlier models. In addition to what Redfish Joe mentioned from 08 on touring bikes have a 6 gallon tank, which is nice to have on road trips. My 08 has been trouble free for 26K miles. I had an 06 RoadKing prior to my current scoot and can honestly tell you the 08 runs much hotter. there are ways to lessen the heat but it will always run hotter than an 06 with the 88ci. that being said,l I would still go with the larger engine/later models. good luck

I would go with 08 or up unless you get a really good deal on earlier models.

Some consider the '08 as the red-headed stepchild.....
Harder to get rid of at the dealers.
It has the old frame, might as well get the '09 and up with the new frame.

Go look at all the upgrades LISTED on the 09,,,, Scary,,, So many upgrades on that 09 model year... Bigger tyre on the rear, special rubber to last a Lonnnnnng time... Just the ride and frame alone dictates that 09 year,,, Hands Down..

NO CATS in 09 models as the 2010's Do. This makes it much better to modify to a fully stage one with benefit of a TFI...

IF more Power is needed,,,, add SE 255 cams to the 96" motor and Hang on...:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

I would go with 08 or up unless you get a really good deal on earlier models.

Some consider the '08 as the red-headed stepchild.....
Harder to get rid of at the dealers.
It has the old frame, might as well get the '09 and up with the new frame.

Really, Gus, I didn't know she was a red head, explains why I like her so much.

Really, Gus, I didn't know she was a red head, explains why I like her so much.

I have a Az. Sheriff friend (still) that I was after and after and after (you get the picture) to Buy a HD,, He had owned other bikes and wanted to own a HD..

Each time I would see him in his Police rig, I would make sure he Not Only Heard the exhaust BUT Felt the Throb of the engine.... I could see him drool over my FXDS and new it was only a matter of time......

Soon he bought the New 08 RG..... right after they came out... Loves the bike. Did the full stage one and TFI... Painted it Fancy, show quality, did he HOWL about the first Chip he got in the paint... I could hear him all the way up to Wa.

Lucky he is so happy,,, if he weren't I could get a ticket.... Yes, the 09 frame is worth the year to get... Now I wouldn't go trade off a perfectly good 07 or 08 to do so...

First thing he wants me to do is install the SE 255's and SE slender taper push rods... When I get back down to Az...

signed....BUBBIE

Back