advice on 06 thru 09 pro and con of years

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Midwest, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Midwest

Midwest Member

I am looking for a used touring bike (electraglide classic or ultra) and need some advice on the years to look at or avoid and why? looking at 06 thru 09 any help or advice is appreciated!

2. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

06:
    88 ci
    old style cam tensioners
    old style primary tensioner
    old style brakes
    old style frame

07:
    96 ci
    New hydraulic cam tensioners
    new hydraulic primary tensioner
    old brakes
    old frame
    larger gas tank??

08:
    TBW
    Bremo brakes
    New IDS
    old frame
    problematic compensator (in my case anyway)
    Change in seat mounting. Fits 08 and above

09:
    TBW
    IDS
    Bremo brakes
    New frame
    Different exhaust routing

plus a dozen other things I have missed.

3. Midwest

Midwest Member

thanks Redfish , What year would you recommend.

4. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

Since I had a 2000 RK, 2008 RG and now a 2011 RG, I would have to say at least the 09 if it weren't cost prohibitive for you. The ride is much better with the new frame.

5. Mavagrand

Mavagrand Senior Member

I would go with 08 or up unless you get a really good deal on earlier models. In addition to what Redfish Joe mentioned from 08 on touring bikes have a 6 gallon tank, which is nice to have on road trips. My 08 has been trouble free for 26K miles. I had an 06 RoadKing prior to my current scoot and can honestly tell you the 08 runs much hotter. there are ways to lessen the heat but it will always run hotter than an 06 with the 88ci. that being said,l I would still go with the larger engine/later models. good luck

6. gusotto

gusotto Junior Member

I would go with 08 or up unless you get a really good deal on earlier models.

Some consider the '08 as the red-headed stepchild.....
    Harder to get rid of at the dealers.
    It has the old frame, might as well get the '09 and up with the new frame.

7. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

Go look at all the upgrades LISTED on the 09,,,, Scary,,, So many upgrades on that 09 model year... Bigger tyre on the rear, special rubber to last a Lonnnnnng time... Just the ride and frame alone dictates that 09 year,,, Hands Down..

NO CATS in 09 models as the 2010's Do. This makes it much better to modify to a fully stage one with benefit of a TFI...

IF more Power is needed,,,, add SE 255 cams to the 96" motor and Hang on...:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

8. Mavagrand

Mavagrand Senior Member

Really, Gus, I didn't know she was a red head, explains why I like her so much.

9. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

I have a Az. Sheriff friend (still) that I was after and after and after (you get the picture) to Buy a HD,, He had owned other bikes and wanted to own a HD..

Each time I would see him in his Police rig, I would make sure he Not Only Heard the exhaust BUT Felt the Throb of the engine.... I could see him drool over my FXDS and new it was only a matter of time......

Soon he bought the New 08 RG..... right after they came out... Loves the bike. Did the full stage one and TFI... Painted it Fancy, show quality, did he HOWL about the first Chip he got in the paint... I could hear him all the way up to Wa.

Lucky he is so happy,,, if he weren't I could get a ticket.... Yes, the 09 frame is worth the year to get... Now I wouldn't go trade off a perfectly good 07 or 08 to do so...

First thing he wants me to do is install the SE 255's and SE slender taper push rods... When I get back down to Az...

signed....BUBBIE

10. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

LOL did some one say REDHEAD? I think 07 and newer would be a good choice, better cam chains and brakes:s