free website stats program advice needed please! | Harley Davidson Forums

advice needed please!

gator508

Experienced Member
I have decided to add halogen daytime driving lights to my 08 FXSTC. I like the Kuryakyn Silver Bulletts. I already have a relo done on the directional signals and will mount the driving lights below and inside the forks. I have yet to decide if the large or small will fit best.

Questions: Where should I wire the lights. The instructions say to wire them to a keyed hot line, I assume the headlight wire will do. The ground is in the mount.
I was told by a local dealer the draw will be ~ 70 amps for the pair and no additional load protection is necessary, does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks!

gator; I know w/the touring (FLHX) kit the driving lights connect to signal/running harness. Do your signals have the 4-pin connector? If so - can possibly add connection to this point (open slot)..?? Do you have service manual w/wiring diagram(s) in the back appendix?

Hi Iceman,

I have yet to open anything up, I am planning on getting the lights this week, and still have not gotten around to getting a service manual...I know, I know, should have done this a long time ago.
I was told by the local dealer there is a connection to the headlight harness inside the housing which is a keyed hot on, did not know the directional signal harness may have a connection. There will not be an auxillary switch to turn on/off. Thanks!

Got it...trying to remember how my 05 Sporty signals were wired when I relocated to forks. You're probably good w/either (headlamp or signal/marker wire(s)). Make sure to post some pics when done...bet they'll brighten things up. Love my driving lights on FLHX - really makes a difference night & day.

Got it...trying to remember how my 05 Sporty signals were wired when I relocated to forks. You're probably good w/either (headlamp or signal/marker wire(s)). Make sure to post some pics when done...bet they'll brighten things up. Love my driving lights on FLHX - really makes a difference night & day.

Thanks Iceman, you can count on it, got a new front wheel to show off too!!!

I was told by a local dealer the draw will be ~ 70 amps for the pair and no additional load protection is necessary, does anyone know if this is true?

I take it you mean 7.0 amp. That is still a bunch of current, almost 1/2 of the fuse that is in the branch and almost 1/4 of all your available current at idle. With that much current you really need to be selective where you wire it in. Too bad you can't go with LED.

I take it you mean 7.0 amp. That is still a bunch of current, almost 1/2 of the fuse that is in the branch and almost 1/4 of all your available current at idle. With that much current you really need to be selective where you wire it in. Too bad you can't go with LED.

Hi Hoople,

I hoped you would chime in, thanks!

Actually, the local did say 70, I was thinking this was way high, but I did not want to argue since I was soliciting. I did not want to go with LED mostly because a load equalizer is recommended.

but I did not want to argue since I was soliciting.

Well we know it can't be 70 amps because the entire charging system is about 45 amps. It can't be 70MA because that would be too low. The best answer would be 7.0 amps.

I would find out for sure first either by web site searching or by a phone call.
You need to know that number before you know where/how to wire it in.

Hanging another 7 amps on the headlight circuit would probably overload that circuit because it now has a 15 amp fuse and there must be 7 amps ALREADY going through it. Adding another 7 would overload it. (14 amps on a 15 amp circuit/fuse)

1st things first. Find out the accurate current draw of the lights.

Well we know it can't be 70 amps because the entire charging system is about 45 amps. It can't be 70MA because that would be too low. The best answer would be 7.0 amps.

I would find out for sure first either by web site searching or by a phone call.
You need to know that number before you know where/how to wire it in.

Hanging another 7 amps on the headlight circuit would probably overload that circuit because it now has a 15 amp fuse and there must be 7 amps ALREADY going through it. Adding another 7 would overload it. (14 amps on a 15 amp circuit/fuse)

1st things first. Find out the accurate current draw of the lights.

Good Morning,

Hoop, reading the install instructions the approximate draw is 4 amps, Kuryakyn recommends wiring to an accessory fuse in the panel using their relay of course.

Thanks for your input, gonna git er done this week, I hope!

reading the install instructions the approximate draw is 4 amps,

If that is 4 amps for the pair, you should have no problems.

If it's 4 each or 8 amps total (1/2 the capacity of a fused branch) think it through where your hooking them up. Look at the schematic to see what the fuse is already supporting and if it will support an additional 8 amps.

Back