free website stats program Advice for Two up Riding ? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Advice for Two up Riding ?

Find a clean dry parking lot and do some practice. That is really the best way to get comfortable with a passanger. The passanger needs to do their part and that is to sit still when things get slow. If you are moving into or out of a parking space have your back seat hop off. Just makes it simple. Like most of riding. Ride within your limits and know when you just need to stop and take a second slice at a turn.
The videos mentioned are a good idea also. Some good info there.

You can make the bike "longer" and a bit more stable by lightly applying the rear brake while modulating the clutch and throttle.

Give it some throttle and let out (or pull in) the clutch when you want to slowly excellerate from a stop(or slow down) while you ride that rear brake some.

Practice slow speed manuvers without a pilon in an empty parking a few times
to get the hang of it. I think you can look it up on YouTube.

Hope I'm making some sense. If not, just disregard and go with the more experienced members of the group.

Cheers.

i have to agree with nakkers, after seeing one of the ride like a pro vids showing how to do the slow ride, it made things easier for me. as stated in the vid, the easy pressure on the back brake helps keep the bike upright and finding that sweet spot in the clutch let's you keep the creep going. it will take some practice.

For me, the most important thing for the passenger to do is NOTHING. I want them to sit straight on the bike, if they do that then I can control the lean of the bike. If they lean with or against you, you have to compensate for it. First thing first though, get use to your bike solo and then you only have to get use to the 2-up thing. That's my advise anyways, for what it's worth. :) Good luck and happy riding. :cheers

Bikerdude,

In slow speed manuvering stay off the front brake as much as possible, use the back brake at slow even pressure and throttle for control.

I have only been 2up a few times so I understand the stress. I just try not get in low speed turns situations. I will streighten the bike out before the pass gets on and off. When leaving a crowded parking lot I plan a rout in my head. I let the rider off before I even try to get in possition to park. I keep my feet down using the front brake until get rolling. I also found smoother shifting was necessary for my passenger comfort, lighter on the clutch release and the braking. When they smack you in the head a couple of times you start to get it.
:newsmile079:

i have to agree with nakkers, after seeing one of the ride like a pro vids showing how to do the slow ride, it made things easier for me. as stated in the vid, the easy pressure on the back brake helps keep the bike upright and finding that sweet spot in the clutch let's you keep the creep going. it will take some practice.

In addition to above, I find it useful to keep my eyes fixed on a distant point at creep speeds, not immediately in front of me. You aren't gonna rear end someone at "wobble" speed, you still see what's happening in front of you.

I have got myself a fatboy , 2009 stage 1.

Great bike , a lot heavier than I am used to though, & this leads to my question .

When riding 2 up I am fine with it all except at slow / walking pace speeds manouevering is a nightmare for me . Haven't dropped it yet , but been very close.

Do you guys have any advice for me , my pillion or both regarding how to handle the bike in these slow turns , slow corners , slow anything really

Go find an empty parking lot and practice, practice practice.

If you want to get fancy cut some tennis balls in half and lay them out in a turning course. And then practice practice practice some more.

If you drop it no big whoop, everyone has. Only 2 kinds of bikers... those that have and those that will.

I weigh 220 and my wife has put on quite a bit of weight since were were married 32 years ago.

You are much more brave than I am....
I would never have the guts to type ANYTHING that contains WIFE and WEIGHT in the same sentence, for fear my wife would at some point see it!!!!!:s

+1 on the Ride Like a Pro series.

Eyes, clutch, throttle, and rear brake. You'll be amazed at what these 900 lb machines can do. I ride two-up often on the Ultra and the Dyna. Once you practice enough solo, adding a passenger really isn't that big of a deal (especially when you automatically know how to compensate with the throttle and clutch).

Nothing like enjoying our machines with a special someone onboard. Don't stress over it too much... passengers can smell fear :bigsmiley20:

Back