free website stats program Advice before buying a 2009 Dyna Super Glide! | Harley Davidson Forums

Advice before buying a 2009 Dyna Super Glide!

deafpride

I'm looking at a 2009 Dyna Super Glide. The bike has less than 1,200 miles and gently ridden by an older gentleman. However, he does not have bike care experience, left it outside (which resulted in some rusting) and tried to charge a dead battery that resulted in a HOT battery.

Is this a bike I should still be considering? It's listed for a good price! Any warning signs?

Welcome to the "BEST on the NET". Be sure to check out the Self Help Area for great tips and advice on maintaining your bike.. Enjoy your stay!!!

If bike condition is not in line with asking price to correct some of the wrongs of bike and if you are uncomfortable with purchase at all I would suggest to keep looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. 1200 miles, probably not too many oil changes, sitting outside, condensation... Rusting is just one piece of the puzzle, but I am sure there are better deals out there.

Question being, how "good" a price is it being offered for? The only thing I'd really be concerned about would be the battery issue. If it starts and runs OK with a new battery, and the cosmetics aren't too awful bad, depending on the sales price would determine if it were a decent deal.

More information:

The rust on the bike is minimal and the bike was stored outside but underneath a carport and is now covered. I don't think he necessary neglected the bike, but just doesn't have a lot of experience with handling the care on bikes.

Question being, how "good" a price is it being offered for? The only thing I'd really be concerned about would be the battery issue. If it starts and runs OK with a new battery, and the cosmetics aren't too awful bad, depending on the sales price would determine if it were a decent deal.

More information:

The rust on the bike is minimal and the bike was stored outside but underneath a carport and is now covered. I don't think he necessary neglected the bike, but just doesn't have a lot of experience with handling the care on bikes.

I'll see if he can replace the battery before I test drive it. The price is $9,000 firm.

Last edited by a moderator:
The big question for me would be this,, Do you plan to do your own repairs/ service or will you need to pay someone to do even simple repairs?

1200 miles sure is not much mileage and the bike would really have to be trashed for it not to be worth 9K. If your handy with tools, it could be a great score.

Speaking for myself, I would pay extra for a bike not to have HD LAN. It's something to think about.

. . . . .The rust on the bike is minimal and the bike was stored outside but underneath a carport and is now covered. I don't think he necessary neglected the bike, but just doesn't have a lot of experience with handling the care on bikes.
I'll see if he can replace the battery before I test drive it. The price is $9,000 firm.

Ok that is the info I was searching for as I read down the thread. If rust is minimal (depending on where it is) that is not that big a deal. What kind of wheels does it have, are they rusting ? That can be a easy $1000 to replace if the wheels are rusted.

I imagine your trees are polished aluminum so the other rust would probably be on the bars, the frame or where the paint has corroded. Consider if you can sand and repaint all the areas yourself, if not call a body shop and get an idea of what kind of costs you could be looking at.

Regardless of what his firm offer is, you need to decipher in your mind how much the bike is worth to you. If you can't buy it for that, walk away. And before I bought a bike like that I would want him to let me remove the battery and battery case and just look around under the seat area. If all that looked ok (no frayed wires or other tramatic looking items) then I would want to see the bike function with a good battery BEFORE I bought it.

Oh and just so you know, my bike (bought used) had some rust on it and some badly spotted aluminun rockers and trees. But it did crank and run with no problems. I decided how much the bike was worth to me and that's what I ended up paying for it. My rust was on the wheels (minimal) but I wanted to later buy cast wheels anyhow so I reasoned it out. I don't like laced wheels but I'm still running them. I also had some rust on the frame where his bags rubbed, but I redid that area myself. I hand polished the trees and rockers to an acceptable level. Still not new looking.

I bought my 2007 Street Bob in 2010 with 13,700 miles for $10,000 plus sales tax and tag ($10,825 out the door). It came with a stage 1 AC, and V&H's pipes ($600 value). They wanted $11,830 out the door, but I told them they could sell it to someone else for that.

9k may give you some wiggle room, because of the cosmetics, Still not too bad of a deal if you are handy with tools, and do some quick fluid changes and adjustments:s

Back