free website stats program advice? 03 dyna | Harley Davidson Forums

advice? 03 dyna

taz1957

I replaced my cams installed andrews e-z adjust push rods.
I turned the motor over before the front cyl lifters bled down.i tried to start is (STUPID) at first it back fired I shut it right down. re adjusted the push rods
then did a compression check, at first no compression in the front cyl.
I waited 15 minutes and checked compression again. this time had full compression. I buttoned it up and now it starts and runs fine.
i don't think i bent a valve because it runs good. Can anyone out there tell my why i did not have compression the first time? I made sure i started it many times. Can't ride it yet due to the snow.
Did i get lucky and the intake lifter was just holding the intake open at first?

So, you finished adjusting the pushrods, extended and installed the pushrod cover keepers, and then immediately tried to start it BEFORE you knew that the lifters had fully collapsed? Then you immediately pulled the sparkplug and tried to check compression?

If that describes the situation, Son! Slow down a bit. What is the hurry?

I think you probably just got lucky!! The lifters were slow to collapse (cold?) and kept the valves open a bit while you were trying to check the compression the first time.

TQ

Back