free website stats program Advanced Training | Harley Davidson Forums

Advanced Training

oldgeezer

The guy that trains the local police officers offers a one day training session for $75.00. He starts with basic and goes up to as advanced as the trainee can handle.

I have never had any kind of formal training other than trial and error, but I consider myself a safe rider. I have over fifteen thousand safe riding miles logged up.

Do any of you think it's a good idea to spend a whole Saturday trying to improve my riding skills, or will I just pick up more experience as I go along?

Thanks for your input.

The motorcycle safety foundation sponsers programs for beginning and experienced riders. I took the experienced riders course this past weekend and it was one afternoon about 6 hours and was $80... It has been 23 years since my last class and this one was worth every dime! Enjoy and keep learning, it makes the ride better!
Don

I'd say go for it! I've taken six advance training courses through the years and they are always adjusting, adding and pushing you to know the limits of you and your bike. I'm never good enough and will always keep an open mind to learn more. I'm an old guy and I'm always practicing. I'm in a lot of town traffic and if you're don't know how to handle the bike and ALWAYS having an escape route, might not be riding tomorrow. Take the class.... $75 bucks, that's cheap for a day.
Ugly John

Anyone here take the Lee Parks "Total Control Training"? I am signed up for the course next week here at Camp Pendleton. Free to service members.

Can never have too much rider training in my book.:newsmile020:

I agree. Take the training.

A bunch of folks from our local HOG club get together on a quarterly basis or so at an empty parking lot to practice the stuff we learned at the MSF course. Can never have enough practice in my book. Plus you can develop some bad habits or forget stuff over time. Some riders spend a lot of time on the techniques and have many more miles under their belts. They can help you notice things you might miss. Plus, you can and should try and learn new things every day.

Riding with a safe group has really helped me overcome fear of riding in high winds and at higher speeds on the freeway.

Also, following simple tried and true rules can avoid accidents. Just tonight coming home from work in my cage I saw 4 HDs riding in a group. The fow on the freeway was about 50. The first two guys were riding right next to each other and sure enough, some woman on her cell started to change lanes into them. The bikes came so close to each other they almost got their ape hangers caught on each other and you could see the look of terror on their faces as they scrambled to stay upright. Had they been riding staggered like the last two bikes were, they would have easily been able to adjust to that kook in the car. They were two lucky riders. I'll bet they are still talking about it tonight.

I'd say go for it! I've taken six advance training courses through the years and they are always adjusting, adding and pushing you to know the limits of you and your bike. I'm never good enough and will always keep an open mind to learn more. I'm an old guy and I'm always practicing. I'm in a lot of town traffic and if you're don't know how to handle the bike and ALWAYS having an escape route, might not be riding tomorrow. Take the class.... $75 bucks, that's cheap for a day.
Ugly John

I'm with you. I'm an old guy too. I can't get enough practice. Rode five different bikes back in the 70's. Bought my first Harley after 30 years of kids, house, school and wife payments. My FatBob weights in at 700lbs. I need all the practice I can get. I'll go to this parking lot and practice my slow turns and control. You can't get enough practice. After viewing some police training videos online, feathering the clutch and using the rear brake takes alot of practice. I'd say go for it too. As far as I'm concerned, you can't learn enough. Years and years of riding, and there will be something different that hits ya on the road.

Back