free website stats program Advanced Radio System and headsets | Harley Davidson Forums

Advanced Radio System and headsets

shami02

Hello All,

I am new to touring "bagger" type of motorcycling and I just purchased an 08 Road Glide. It has the Harmon Kardon ARS system with AM/FM Weather and CD player with faring speakers only. I would like to add a capability to listen through headphones. How and what would I need to do this? I tried looking through the HD accessories catalog and find a tank insert with some wiring which I assume connects to the radio. However my Road Glide is a numbered 105 anniversary model, with the numbering on the tank insert I would prefer to not replace that for the one with the plug. Can any of you experts and long timers help me out with some ideas? Thankx in advance.

regards,
-mike

You coud probably have your dealer custom mount the plug in your fairing somewhere.

I am reasonably handy with tools, any one aware if the wiring harness and plug would be available as a stand alone. Or do any of you know of a salvage yard that has late model (08) wrecks to part out? As always thankx in advance for any help offered.

regards,
-mike

Hello All,

I am new to touring "bagger" type of motorcycling and I just purchased an 08 Road Glide. It has the Harmon Kardon ARS system with AM/FM Weather and CD player with faring speakers only. I would like to add a capability to listen through headphones. How and what would I need to do this? I tried looking through the HD accessories catalog and find a tank insert with some wiring which I assume connects to the radio. However my Road Glide is a numbered 105 anniversary model, with the numbering on the tank insert I would prefer to not replace that for the one with the plug. Can any of you experts and long timers help me out with some ideas? Thankx in advance.

regards,
-mike

Another possibility is to look into available "wireless" Bluetooth technology. JMcorp carries some, and look into major brands like Motorola...just a thought since you have a new ride...yeah the "Candy Stores" are open, keep in touch...:bigsmiley12:

Another possibility is to look into available "wireless" Bluetooth technology. JMcorp carries some, and look into major brands like Motorola...just a thought since you have a new ride...yeah the "Candy Stores" are open, keep in touch...:bigsmiley12:

Yeah, I get the candy store reference.... The issue is paying for all of he toys I suddenly have to have LOL funny how that works.... Anyway I looked at some of the Bluetooth options out there and some are very nice but also quite a price also... I was hoping to get the plug and wiring harness and a headset for slightly less... Though it may not be possible.. I think I need a salvage yard with an 08 RG that will sell just the plug and harness... Thankx to those that have answered up it is nice to bounce questions off of those who have done it. Any other ideas please reply..

Thankx again,
-mike

No worries Shami02, just be patient, look around and there are amazing prices these days. Wireless is really the way to go on a new ride, it allows you to integrate iPODs, cell phones, navagators and the like without broken wiring harnesses, plugs that wear out and poor sound quality over wind noise. Price is constantly going down and in this tough economy there are retailers offline and online willing to deal.

Back