free website stats program Adjusting to 2009 Ultra Classic | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Adjusting to 2009 Ultra Classic

I am 5'3" with a 30" inseam and decided on a Street Glide because it was lowered...I still had to put a reach seat on because of the girth of the bike. Doing that made it much easier to manoeuver for me. Also had an adjustable backrest put on and what a difference in comfort! It also helps when I'm backing into a parking spot - I can lean into the backrest for added push. My husband has a regular non-adjustable backrest and found it sat him too far forward on the seat so he doesn't use it - he does like mine though...not that he gets to ride my bike much! I have no issues with the reach on the bars which I thought may be a problem but thankfully isn't. My husband has the heated grips and loves them...me, I have the heated gloves because I like my whole hand to be warm not just the palm. Good luck with your new ride - enjoy!!

Well yesterday was hte big day...first service.

I got them to rotate my bars back toward me and it made a big difference. On advice from the dealer I tried the reach seat and went for a 2 hour ride on an amazing widing road ... it was fantastic. The reach seat really helps with stopping and starting.

Then I added a back rest but it pushes me too far forward on the reach seat. Hard on the crotch.

So I am going to use the reach seat without the back rest when I have the wife aboard and the stock seat with the backrest when I am doing a long trip by myself.

Thanks for all the advice everyone...oh yeah I didn't get the heated grips just cool custom ones.

Happy riding!!!

Geezer, was the backrest on the bike you tried fully adjustable? I have the fully adjustable one with the air shock on the reach seat. I have to say it is probably the best bang-for-the-buck I've made to date.

My backrest only has a set screw for adjustment. I think when I try it on the stock seat it will be fine because on that seat I want to be forward a bit. I haven't seen the heated gloves anywhere yet which is strange living in Canada. Are they a Harley stock item?

Hi all,

Well, I just wanted to let you all know that I decided to install the HD Touring Pullback Bars myself as I just couldn't handle a $1100 price tag for the bars, a longer clutch, ABS brake and throttle cables/wires. I downloaded the service manual (THANKS SMITTY!), and tore into it yesterday after a 250 mile ride. 6 hours later (yes, 6) I have the new pullback bars installed and all of the stock cables reach just fine (Merlynn, your dealer was right, not mine). I followed the service manual; however, I did have to disconnect a few more harness' behind the inner fairing than recommended to move the inner fairing sufficiently. I'm not one to pat my back; however, I would not recommend this task to a new HD owner.....and I still don't have it back together either. Anyhow, if you find yourself leaning forward to reach the bars on an Ultra, these bars are the way to go. I may get a rider backrest but I think I'll just try the bars for now and see if it helps my lower back problems. I'll give you guys a post ride report if I ever get this thing back together.

Well, this thread has been dead for a while but I said I'd let all know how pullback bar change went and here, about 15 hours of labor later, I am. I will note that you will never get this job finished if you do not have the HD service manual. You'd never get the ignition switch out (or especially back in). I started removing "stuff" Sunday after a 250 mile jaunt and finished the bars up Thursday night at 10 PM. I ended up having plenty of brake cable, throttle cable, and switch cables; however, my clutch cable is a little snug with the bars turned full right. I would have been done with this job probably 5 hours earlier but I decided to route the switch harnesses and my iPod harness through the bars so I had to cut/resplice the wires inside the fairing. I tell you the pullback bars are the ticket if you are 5'9" tall.

In my last post I mentioned the $1100 price tag that HD wanted to do this job. When I stopped in to tell them that the stock cables/harnesses will reach they mentioned that it now takes them about 4 hours of labor just to bleed the ABS brakes. I guess it's a real chore.

Anyhow, now that the job is done and the bike works well I'm glad that I went through with it. Hope this helps anyone that gets a sore back on an Ultra.

I'm glad you are happy with the results of your labour:D
Did they really look you in the eyes and tell you 4 hrs. to bleed ABS brakes?:14:

Yes,

They insisted they had to change the brake lines w/ the longer bars and then said 4 hours to bleed the brakes. They said they had to hook it up to a diagnostic computer and do a bunch of checks. While I do believe them, I just can't fathom paying 14 or 15 hundred dollars for parts/labor for a handlebar change. Thanks to all for the help and advice.

Glad you got the bars and ride the way you like it. Yes, when doing work where you have to remove so much stuff, it can be scary...but if you work on it methodically, mentally rehearse what you are going to do, take pictures if complicated, laying out parts carefully use baggies and tape to segregate and mark removed parts and experience the process...it gets easier AND you will have a greater appreciation of your bike knowing it was done right. :cheers

I'm constantly amazed, when reading this forum, of the amount of after purchase dollars that have to be spent to get a bike set up so that it's a comfort to ride. The more I read, the less excited I get about buying my first HD motorcycle. Was so looking forward to retirement and getting back into riding.

Well, you really don't have to do anything to a new Harley to enjoy it. Think of it like this though, I know it sounds immature and childish but I am what I am. Put yourself in the time machine for a few minutes and think back to the time when you first got married. You married a hot looking woman and what did you do? You took her out on the town to show her off. You didn't keep her locked up in the house. In order to look her best she will probably want to put a little war paint on too. Remember that Maybelline is equivelent to chrome for us guys. We all us it. We are hard wired to do it. It is human nature. So is riding a Harley. Get it and show it off. You will be a far better man for it. Put the wifey on the back and you are in in Hog Heaven because you are showing off the two bestest things in your life. I tried getting all the kids on the bike once but it got a little out of control, real quick.

Back