free website stats program Adjusting to 2009 Ultra Classic | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Adjusting to 2009 Ultra Classic

Can't say enough about Mustang seats. Have one on my '99 and love it. Factory seats are OK, but lack the support necessary for long trips. There are probably a lot of other aftermarket seats out there that will fill the bill also.

Geezer, I too have an 09 ultra and am somewhat vertically challenged. I'm 5'-10" and have a 30" inseam. With the stock seat, my heels are about 3/4" off the floor when standing. I opted for the "reach" seat from HD and it cured the problem completely. It lowers the seat by about an inch and it's narrower in the front so you get some inseam advantage as well. I know that you said you already ordered new bars but did you try adjusting yours first? The reach seat also moves you forward about an inch or so, so it may be all you need for the bars to feel correct as well. I am putting a backrest on mine next week, I'll let you know haw that works out. Oh, and I'm 53 so I understand completely, lol

One of the reasons that I ordered the new bars before trying to angle the existing ones back is that when I bought the bike I order heated handgrips. (Canada gets cold sometimes). They were not in stock so I am getting them put on at the first service. They have to do quite a bit to install them so I thought that it would make sense to switch the bars at the same time.

I will let you know how it works.

I'm constantly amazed, when reading this forum, of the amount of after purchase dollars that have to be spent to get a bike set up so that it's a comfort to ride. The more I read, the less excited I get about buying my first HD motorcycle. Was so looking forward to retirement and getting back into riding.

As others have mentioned, the reason we change these things is because we can. The range and amount of aftermarket parts for Harleys is overwhelming. Just try to modify an Goldwing or BMW tourer for maximum comfort. It's pretty much what you buy is what you have, if it fits, good, if not you deal with it.

Back to the original question, I'm 5'8'' with 29" inseam. I also found that a Reach seat from Harley cured my tippy toe problem when stopped I can now put my feet flat and it put me a little closer to the bars. Since you have ordered the bars, as was said try that then move on from there with the mods.

That's one of the best parts of owning a Harley, you can make it a perfect fit for you.

I know that you said you already ordered new bars but did you try adjusting yours first?

I did not realize you could adjust the exsisting bars. I need mine a tad closer as well, how much do you gain? I would rather do that than change out the bars or seat if possible. Thanks.:D

It's not the comments that are making me concerned about a HD purchase, it's the cost. What may be a minor tweek to most of the members in here is a major expense for me. I'm trying very hard to get as much information about the '09 Road King (FLHR) as I can; but like so many other things I don't know about HD, I don't know where to get the wholesale price. I don't know if the extended warrenty is worth the money or is this just something else to increase the price of the bike. I've never taken the extended warrenty on anything else that I've ever purchased. Where so many of the members have been around motorcycles all their life, I haven't owned one for around 40years. Just a tremendous amount of knowledge I don't have, that most in here take for granted. I'm 64 years old, and with what time I have left, I wanted to spend as much time with my son on some road trips or riding with my wife. I appreciate the time spent answering my questions and giving me much needed advice. This is an excellent forum, and a daily visit for me. When my purchase is made, you'll be the first to know. Thanks again.

The reach seat, may help. Someone mentioned memory foam, it doesn't respond quickly enough if you shift positions. I had my seat done by madcow leather he uses Air foam. Cooler, and more responsive, and much more comfortable on the back side. They could probably rework your seat into a reach. But sounds like you may want to lower her a bit too. Good Luck!

Jick, the bike I just traded in was a 1988 1100 Shadow in mint shape. I waited and saved a long time for my Harley and so I want to do it up right. Even with the few little issues I still love riding it. I have a philosophy that life is short and you should enjoy it while you can if you can. I really hope you get your dream bike. Good luck.

Pulling the stock bars back may help but keep in mind, if you move them back, it will also lower them a bit, which may have the same consequences that you have now. Speaking from experence here. :)

As stated before a backrest will help you sit up strighter. I had the same back pain you described; the backrest took care of it. The reach seat may help with the other issues, but I would try the backrest first. JMHO
:USA

It's not the comments that are making me concerned about a HD purchase, it's the cost. What may be a minor tweek to most of the members in here is a major expense for me. I'm trying very hard to get as much information about the '09 Road King (FLHR) as I can; but like so many other things I don't know about HD, I don't know where to get the wholesale price. I don't know if the extended warrenty is worth the money or is this just something else to increase the price of the bike. When my purchase is made, you'll be the first to know. Thanks again.

JICK:
Chances are you will not have to do much. Maybe go rent one for a day to see how it fits. If it's not the right ride, check into the street glide. Most people who have them love them right out of the box. Most people say no need for extra waranty. As far as price, once you know exactly what you want, call 5-6 dealers and ask for their out the door price and what else they can throw in. Some people get an extended warranty thrown in. (Free Service, Jacket, grips or whatever) That will be sure you are getting competitive pricing. Good luck and above all ride safe.

Back