free website stats program Adjusting / Tightening Handlebars on 02 Road King.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Adjusting / Tightening Handlebars on 02 Road King....

~PK~

Can someone please tell me how this is done? I just got the bike and almost killed myself yesterday when i was turning around and they fell causing my wrist to snap and rev the gas!

Thanks in advance,

Paul

look where they have a cover in the center of the cover sould be a plate that lifts up and adjusting screws are under in

I ride an 01 Road King, and changed out the handlebars, it is somewhat tricky to explain but I will try. First you remoce the chrome ring around the headlight, than you have to remove the headlight which is held on by 8-10 screws which go around the light, not the ones to adjust it. Than you reach inside and on top; all the way in back of the headlight cavity will be a nut which holds the chrome strip in place which is on top of the headlight cover, you also need to pop off the ring around the handlebar lock. this will give you access to the chrome peice which hides the handlebar mounting bolts. Good luck, I was fortunate enough to watch my mechanic do it the first time.

I ride an 01 Road King, and changed out the handlebars, it is somewhat tricky to explain but I will try. First you remoce the chrome ring around the headlight, than you have to remove the headlight which is held on by 8-10 screws which go around the light, not the ones to adjust it. Than you reach inside and on top; all the way in back of the headlight cavity will be a nut which holds the chrome strip in place which is on top of the headlight cover, you also need to pop off the ring around the handlebar lock. this will give you access to the chrome peice which hides the handlebar mounting bolts. Good luck, I was fortunate enough to watch my mechanic do it the first time.

that is a pain to tear apart to get to must be the earlier ones didnt have the plate like mine so i dont have to take all of that apart

Thanks Purple King...I was thinking that was the only way to do it ...*sigh*. I would have posted a picture...but i have to have 5 post before i can do that...lol ugh?

Do yourself a favor and buy a manual. It's a big help.
My 02 RK came stock with two seperate handle bar clamps. If that is your case you want to buy a one piece clamp. Also, be sure to cover your front fender with a thick towel in case you drop something.

The one piece clamp provides more gripping force. Less chance of the bars comming loose. At least that was the pitch from my dealer.
When my bars came loose, I replaced the clamps and haven't had a problem since.
YMMV
Ride safe

Back