free website stats program Adjusting Pushrods | Harley Davidson Forums

Adjusting Pushrods

choppershawn

Got 100 inch revtech, had excessive valve noise, put jims hydro solids and screaming eagle push rods in, it seemed to help alittle , but now got this loud tap noise in the top,, lifter instruction said to only adjust them 5 wrench flats cuz our pushrods are 24 tpi, any suggetions,,

1) Are you sure you were at TDC of compression stroke and not TDC of overlap when adjusting pushrods. (on cold engine)
2) From Zero lash you increased the push rod length by 5 flats.

Iwould first run a compression test and leak down test, recheck pushrods to see if you can slightly spin them

readjusted yesterday, read you take tpi, example 24tpi = 2.4 turns, with hydrosolids you split that in 1/2, 1.2 turns = 8 flats, adjusted rear exhaust 8 flats took 1 hr and 1/2 to bleed down, adjusted another one and 2 hrs later still tight,, started over and went 6 flats and it was holding the valves open on the rear cylinder and not letting it fire, so I have them now as close as I can get them,, right around 5 1/2 flats,,

readjusted yesterday, read you take tpi, example 24tpi = 2.4 turns, with hydrosolids you split that in 1/2, 1.2 turns = 8 flats, adjusted rear exhaust 8 flats took 1 hr and 1/2 to bleed down, adjusted another one and 2 hrs later still tight,, started over and went 6 flats and it was holding the valves open on the rear cylinder and not letting it fire, so I have them now as close as I can get them,, right around 5 1/2 flats,,

Good Job, now ride it and recheck them and make sure you can lightly spin them:p

i know this is an older thread, just wanted to add the higher lift cams can cause the rocker in a RevTech motor to contact the rocker cover, thus creating a noise. Remedy is to releive the cover in the area of the rocker arm tip. Just a heads up, in case the noise is still present...

Back