Adjusting preload shocks

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by wyndemuir, May 12, 2012.

1. wyndemuir

wyndemuir New Member

Hi everyone....i'm a new sportster owner and have a 2009 XL883C. I want to adjust the load on my shocks and read the manual cover to cover and can't find what I'm looking for. I know how to adjust them, my problem is I can't find the wrench. Now this could very well be a dumb question, but is there a storage spot on the bike for a tool kit that contains the wrench? I had a Honda shadow prior to this bike and it had a tool kit with the wrench in it.

2. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

Welcome,

The Best wrench is a simple spanner type and harley does carry (sell) them. I would get the simple single spanner, nothing needed like the fancy double plier style on a pin hinge... keep it simple:D

There is No place on the newer bikes but IF you buy a "Scream'n Eagle front fork bag", that will give you good results,,,,, They are perfect for a sportster and enough room for your legals inside and a good amount of small tools, like the spanner wrench, tyre gauge, small adjustable wrench, pliers, assorted screw-drivers and a lot more.

The fit is perfect under the head light on my 1200 sport R. and should fit yours also.

signed....BUBBIE

3. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

As you may now have worked out most Harley bikes come without a tool kit and no place to store tools although there are add on's for some models i have a simple fork bag on each of my bikes with what i think is essential tools however i usually find i do not have what i need on the road

Brian

4. whacko

whacko Junior Member

My 2010 FXDC did not come with the spanner wrence....had to buy it.....only 9 bucks though.

5. Webbtron

Webbtron Banned

Even on the tool kits I've had there wasn't a shock adjuster. Just a tiny pair of pliers, a screwdriver you piece together and maybe the goofy tool that you could take a spark plug out with. Kind of put out of business by the leatherman.

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Welcome to The Forum Shock Adjustment Spanner | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA
    have a look here this is what Bubbie and the rest are talking about

7. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

BRIAN,

IF you are like ME,,,You need a TRAILER to satisfy the needs while out on the road.:newsmile100:

I only mentioned the Scream'nEagle front fork pouch, as I moved it from the dyna to the sportster I own.... :D:D:D

Don't Let HD Know this, or they will raise their 50$ US price on it.... :small3d031:

signed....BUBBIE

8. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I think i would need to tow the whole workshop and then i would still be missing whatever i needed
    However i always seem to find a way round the wee issues that crop up when away from home

Brian

9. wyndemuir

wyndemuir New Member

Thanx for all the ideas........knew this was the right place to ask. I do have a pouch I can put on the forks.....or on the back of the license plate bracket

10. mikemyers

mikemyers Member

I made my own because I'm too cheap to buy one! I had some metal plates that are 1/8" thick and cut out the shape of the tool with a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade.
    Works fine.