free website stats program Adjusting an S&S Super E Carb For Straight Pipes | Harley Davidson Forums

Adjusting an S&S Super E Carb For Straight Pipes

Sentinel

First off sorry if this isn't where i'm supposed to post my issue, it was the only place I could post related to this.

Hi my mechanic didn't have enough time to do this as we had to get my bike on the trailer and AAA was waiting for us. I put straight pipes on my 1983 Sportster 1000cc. He was trying to run me through it over the phone but my battery died before I could finish. I have it set to standard factory settings right now. Idle mixing screw at 1 1/4 turns. Accelerator Pump is at 2 full turns. I have not adjusted a carb before so this is a learning process for me. My plugs keep getting burned and i get a little black smoke. Can someone help?

After a few hours of riding around town and adjusting at stop lights lol, i can say she idles well and runsnearly perfect. Only issue I am having is when i fully turn the throttle, it doesn't completely accelerate. What can be the issue here? To much air? Too much gas?

Make sure the throttle cable is adjusted correctly. Check to see if it (the butterfly) is opened fully at full twist of the grip.

No that isn't an idle adjustment. There is a small screw where the cables attach to the carb. that is the Idle adj. Clockwise to increase, counter cw to decrease. The small screw on the right side of carb is your Accelerator pump adj.
If you go to S&S web page there are several videos on adjusting the Super E, if that is what you have.
Jacks link in post #4 and video in post #2 are both good starting points.
Your hesitation on accel. may be accel. pump adj. or jetting. What jets are in it now?
tourbox

Back