free website stats program adjustable pushrods ... or not | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

adjustable pushrods ... or not

adjustable pushrods ... or not

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
on motors with very highlift,steep ramp cams,tons of seat pressure or both,we dont like using time savers,and we make up our own from smith bros. blanks.have adjuster threads as short as possible,just enough to adjust lifter(threaded part is the weakest part of p/rod,and most likly place to bend or break)

So for those who are not power users, do you recommand to tighten the threaded bolt not too much with some blue loctite instead of tightening it too much to avoid the bolt break or randomly loosening ?

Thank you for saying that prodrag, nothing I hate worse then getting into someone's motor and have to use a wrench every 1/4 turn just to take a pushrod out.

On the other hand, despite what said prodrag and you, i prefer to loose few minutes to loosen the pushrod than to have a loosening pushrod on the road. I think i'll put a drop (or thinking of what you said i'll try to put just half a drop :s )
Oh yes, buy the way, this discussion convinced me to get some Screaming Eagle pushrods.

Oh yes, buy the way, this discussion convinced me to get some Screaming Eagle pushrods.
Sorry for the typo at "buy the way" should have been "by the way".

Last edited by a moderator:
fabrozor the whole point was that loctite was not necessary. have you seen what loctite looks like when it dries up, do you really want that floating around in your oil system? What ever make makes you feel warm and fuzzy:)

I know what you mean, when I was in V-Rod class they tried to make me think in metric doing a valve lash adjustment and while I know metric is a much finer adjuatment which makes it better, I can't count metric on my fingers. But trust me, push rod adjustment is a piece of cake, it's so easy a American President could do it. I don't even think about flats, I just hold the adjuster still with a wrench and then turn the push rod 2 1/2 complete turns then tighten the lock nut. The important thing is to have the lifter on the lowest point on the cam lobe when making the adjustment, with spark plugs out and tranny in 6 gear, rear of bike off the ground, it's easy to rotate the rear wheel and check. When I've got everthing back together and the bike is ready o start I like to crank the engine over with the spark plugs out untill the oil light goes out, gives the lifters a chance to pump up before starting.
Here's the install sheet for S/E rods:
View attachment TC BEST PUSH RODS INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

Back