free website stats program Adjustable pushrod removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Adjustable pushrod removal

SBD2112

Newbie here...I have read alot of threads of pushrods and cant find an answer to my problem...i have a 1990 heritage softail with S&S heads...im not the original owner..so I get a leak at the exhaust pushrod tube..oring is shot...the pushrod (do not know the brand) looks adjustable two small nuts and one big adjusting nut...get everythingTDC adjust rod all the way...wont come out! still a good inch and a half away...so...are there adjustable pushrods that still need to comeout the top or am I doing something wrong...and second being new i am allitle nervous to come out the top...would it be easier to cut them out and buy new ones so in the future it will be easier...I have done everything suggested in most threads on this site without luck...Help and thanks

Not all adjustable push rods are the EZ install type. I still need to remove my rocker arms to get my adjustable Andrews p.r.'s out. It took me a while to remember that when I was putting new lifters in last month.

Yes, those are adjustable pushrods. You're sure you screwed the adjuster all the way in? The EVO tappet blocks are higher than the Shovels or the newer TC's but they should still come out once you've adjusted the pushrod end all the way in... If you have done this, and you can't clear the tappet block, all you need to do is take the top rocker box cover off, loosen the rocker arm bolts a lil at a time in a criss cross pattern and then you remove the rocker assembly and the pushrods will come out thru the top... Much cheaper to do it that way then to cut your pushrods... Make sure you loosen both pushrods for the head your replacing the o-ring on so there is no pressure on the cams and rocker assemblies... When you go to install, make sure you are at TDC of the compression stroke, if your at TDC of the exhaust stroke you will bend valves... Goodluck...
This is going to sound stupid...but TDC...means the pushrod should be at the very bottom of it travel...correct? That Is how i have been doing it....thanks

Newbie here...I have read alot of threads of pushrods and cant find an answer to my problem...i have a 1990 heritage softail with S&S heads...im not the original owner..so I get a leak at the exhaust pushrod tube..oring is shot...the pushrod (do not know the brand) looks adjustable two small nuts and one big adjusting nut...get everythingTDC adjust rod all the way...wont come out! still a good inch and a half away...so...are there adjustable pushrods that still need to comeout the top or am I doing something wrong...and second being new i am allitle nervous to come out the top...would it be easier to cut them out and buy new ones so in the future it will be easier...I have done everything suggested in most threads on this site without luck...Help and thanks

Adjusting Pushrods - Harley Davidson Community may be this will help

As mentioned above, if you at TDC of the compression stroke, there should be no valve spring load on the pushrods. They should rotate easily with your thumb and finger. Screw in the pushrod adjuster all the way, and the pushrod should come out. You have to push the rod UP into the rocker arm socket and then the other end of the pushrod should clear the lifter block. If none of this works, those pushrods may not have been for that engine and were just available. If this is true, I would cut those out and replace them with adjustables for that engine. I would not disturb the rocker boxes just to replace pushrods.

TQ

I had the same problem. It was recommended to remove the tappet block, pushrods, and tubes all at once. Much easier than opening up the rocker boxes.:)

Back