free website stats program Adjustable backrest | Harley Davidson Forums

Adjustable backrest

I have purchased a Sundowner seat ( for the wife ) and drivers adjustable backrest for my Street Glide. I'm really disapointed in the design of the backrest, the metal upright edges are square and I feel will rub whole in seat quite rapidly, my brother is a machinist and is going to radius upright edges for me, so that issue is solved. The other issue is when reinstalling stock seat ( which I want to use when wife is not riding ) the adjusting mechanism protrudes up through the slot in stock seat ( is below on sundowner ) I know this will cut seat quickly also. Is my best bet to wrap mechanism with leather or modify seat in some way ( have leather sleeve sewn in, some sort of plastic sleeve installed ). Have any of you experienced this problem and have any suggestions.

Good to know, Btown. I was talking to my parts guy and he suggested that the non adjustable seat was better value and still had some adjustment by tightening an allan nut in the back. I think you helped me make up my mind.

Why do you like the stock seat better than the Sundowner when riding alone?

I have the adjustable riders backrest on my RG ,it fits fine with my touring seat . I have the leather low profile bucket seat & the hardware for the adjustable seat is flush with the top of the low profile seat & the metal bar on the backrest was exposed . I went to a leather shop & they made a leather sleeve that went over the metal bar , it looks good & problem was solved

I am considering a backrest on my stock Ultra seat. Does one work ok while riding two up? Is it in the way for the passenger? I had a mustang seat and backrest on my softail and it was great. I need that same comfort on my Ultra .
T

Don't know yet still waiting for passenger backrest to come in ( on backorder from harley until May 29 ) wife won't ride without it. Will let you know when it or tour pak arrives.

Back