Adjustable backrest

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Btown Bagger, May 11, 2009.

1. Btown Bagger

Btown Bagger Member

I have purchased a Sundowner seat ( for the wife ) and drivers adjustable backrest for my Street Glide. I'm really disapointed in the design of the backrest, the metal upright edges are square and I feel will rub whole in seat quite rapidly, my brother is a machinist and is going to radius upright edges for me, so that issue is solved. The other issue is when reinstalling stock seat ( which I want to use when wife is not riding ) the adjusting mechanism protrudes up through the slot in stock seat ( is below on sundowner ) I know this will cut seat quickly also. Is my best bet to wrap mechanism with leather or modify seat in some way ( have leather sleeve sewn in, some sort of plastic sleeve installed ). Have any of you experienced this problem and have any suggestions.

2. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

No problems at all with mine.

3. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide Member

Good to know, Btown. I was talking to my parts guy and he suggested that the non adjustable seat was better value and still had some adjustment by tightening an allan nut in the back. I think you helped me make up my mind.

Why do you like the stock seat better than the Sundowner when riding alone?

4. Btown Bagger

Btown Bagger Member

Just like the looks better, thats all.

5. ironmark

ironmark Junior Member

I have the adjustable riders backrest on my RG ,it fits fine with my touring seat . I have the leather low profile bucket seat & the hardware for the adjustable seat is flush with the top of the low profile seat & the metal bar on the backrest was exposed . I went to a leather shop & they made a leather sleeve that went over the metal bar , it looks good & problem was solved

6. bigTM

bigTM Member

I am considering a backrest on my stock Ultra seat. Does one work ok while riding two up? Is it in the way for the passenger? I had a mustang seat and backrest on my softail and it was great. I need that same comfort on my Ultra .
    T

7. Btown Bagger

Btown Bagger Member

Don't know yet still waiting for passenger backrest to come in ( on backorder from harley until May 29 ) wife won't ride without it. Will let you know when it or tour pak arrives.