free website stats program Adjust Clutch Lever freeplay | Harley Davidson Forums

Adjust Clutch Lever freeplay

johnv50

Just a quick question, I seem to have a lot of play in my clutch lever, clutch works fine but I have to pull it in almost to the bar. Is the adjuster the one that is in the front between the downtubes on an 09 FLHX ??

thanks johnv

Just a quick question, I seem to have a lot of play in my clutch lever, clutch works fine but I have to pull it in almost to the bar. Is the adjuster the one that is in the front between the downtubes on an 09 FLHX ??

thanks johnv

follow the cable from the hand clutch lever and it will lead you to the cable adjustment. It has a rubber cover and will slip up-down (roll) out of the way... Loosen the lock nut and you should be able to lengthen the cable out to take up the slack.... You want FREE PLAY in clutch handle to be 1/8 of an inch MAX.

sounds like you have WAY MORE before the cable tightens against the clutch pull....

TOO LOOSE is hard on the clutch, it is more likely to cause a FUTURE problem.... so simply ADJUST free-play OUT

signed....BUBBIE

Funny, depending how many miles you've got on the 09 SG - there shouldn't be that much play. Follow Bubbie's guidance & make sure it's not slipping when you test drive. I just adjusted mine after putting new black levers on my 09 SG & only had to take out ~1/8" play when done, but the cable was tight w/old levers.

I had more play than I wanted on my 2010 Limited, but I think that was normal as the new cable stretches a bit. It looks like the play will increase after the bike is hot too from what the service manual states. All adjustments have to be done with the bike at room temperature.

thanks johnv

John,

I would suggest just a complete clutch adjustment (I am assuming you have a mechanical clutch system rather than hydraulic). See here for some options, and pick the one that seems easiest to you:

Easy Clutch Adjustment Method - Harley Davidson Community

Clutch Adjustment Video - Harley Davidson Community

Clutch Adjustment By The Book - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

You'll find that adjusting the clutch pack to the 1/2 turn out dimension will give you a better clutch handle than the 3/4 turn out.

Like TQ says, do the whole clutch adjustment, not just the adjuster on the cable by the downtubes. Much better results when you do the whole procedure IMHO.

Back