free website stats program Adding Vance Hines SSS with baffles... | Harley Davidson Forums

Adding Vance Hines SSS with baffles...

Baggh

Hey,

I just ordered some black Vance and Hines ShortShot Staggered pipes for my new 2013 Slim. The dealer where I bought my bike was a big help and gave me a great deal, I'm very happy with it anyway.

2 things...
I had the same pipes on my 48... they looked and sounded great! Having said that they were very loud... which is fantastic but I recently relocated to a townhome community so I'd like to try to keep the noise down... a bit anyway. Anybody install and\ or have experience with the V&H baffles? I'm hoping to still have that great sound... just toned down a bit.

Also... the dealer told me that he highly recommends getting the stage 1 tune for the bike in order for it to run properly with the new pipes. As I mentioned I installed these pipes on my 48 without tuning and it ran perfectly. I installed Jardine pipes on 2 Buells and put 40k miles on them without any tuning. All the above ran perfectly without any additional tuning. Slap on the pipes and go. The dealer said adding pipes without tuning will not void the warranty on the Slim and it will run fine, although maybe a bit lean. I've heard (and experienced) that the ECM will balance or learn the new mixture to have the bike running fine with the new pipes. So, is the dealer just trying to make a sell with the airbreather\ tuning (which I don't blame him) orrr the bike should have the tuning done?

Thanks!

i like the quiet baffles vance and hines offers.my friend has them in short shots and the sound nice but not so loud its nerve racking,i would recommend the stage 1 download...don't wanna void your warranty plus your bike will run better with it. just my humble opinion

thanks Holy Diver... The HD service guy I spoke with stated that adding just the pipes would not void my warranty.
WAP.gif

As you said, no warranty issues and the ECM will make adjustments. However, your bike will be running leaner than before - seeing that you live in Dallas, this may not be a desirable effect! Leaner = hotter.

Thanks Dr. Dolittle...

That Dallas heat thing is a great point. I definitely will monitor that and see how it goes. The dealer stated that many people get the stage 1 in steps... so I'll get the pipes... monitor the situation and tune it if I notice a situation.

I wonder if having the baffles installed (which I am doing) will help a bit with the back pressure. ie... not be as dramatic a change as it would be if I was going from stock to V&H open pipes... therefore not affecting the tune as much...?

In a nutshell I'd imagine getting the entire stage 1 done at once would be the best case scenario. Its just I'm not really looking for more power\ performance (got that fix in with the Buells)... I'm wanting better "Harley" sound and I love the looks of the black V&H SSS over the chrome stock pipes. So the cost of the entire stage 1 just doesn't justify the personal check list. Like I said though... you bring up a great point with the heat... I'll definitely monitor that.

Thanks!

Thanks Dr. Dolittle...

That Dallas heat thing is a great point. I definitely will monitor that and see how it goes. The dealer stated that many people get the stage 1 in steps... so I'll get the pipes... monitor the situation and tune it if I notice a situation.

I wonder if having the baffles installed (which I am doing) will help a bit with the back pressure. ie... not be as dramatic a change as it would be if I was going from stock to V&H open pipes... therefore not affecting the tune as much...?

In a nutshell I'd imagine getting the entire stage 1 done at once would be the best case scenario. Its just I'm not really looking for more power\ performance (got that fix in with the Buells)... I'm wanting better "Harley" sound and I love the looks of the black V&H SSS over the chrome stock pipes. So the cost of the entire stage 1 just doesn't justify the personal check list. Like I said though... you bring up a great point with the heat... I'll definitely monitor that.

Thanks!
how much did you pay for this bike?is saving $200 worth messing the engine up?i'd get the download once the pipes are installed

Had the pipes on for about 300 miles... no problems... running strong... and sounds\ looks great!

I'm not so sure that simply adding the pipes will damage anything. I've done this to 3 other MC's now (Sportster 48 and 2 Buells) and never had an issue. Further more... I bought the pipes from and had them installed directly by my HD dealer... they stated that adding just the pipes will not void my warranty. I feel that if adding just the pipes caused engine problems that they would know about it and certainly void the warranty... they aren't in business to lose money by damaging their own bikes... if people were having their engines explode (or other issues) they certainly would state that adding the pipes voids the warranty. You know...?

Doing the full stage one would cost me $800 additional. if it was 2 or even $400 additional I may have done it... probably would have just to get a bit more power.

Only difference I notice is that it may be running a tad hotter... not sure about this but maybe. Also there is more pop to my exhaust upon de-acceleration. My Buells both popped which eventually went away as the ECM learned the new mixture... took about 500~ish miles of riding.

I changed out the regular baffles to the "quiet" ones in my pythons. Has a deeper, richer sound. Quieter idle sound. No lose of power.

Back