free website stats program Adding miles without moving?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Adding miles without moving??

The_Q

I have a ’04 XL883 with just over 3,000 miles. The bike rides and runs great. I have been noticing a discrepancy between mine and my wife’s bikes mileage during gas stops. We can ride the same distance and there is always a difference between the two. I really had no idea what was going on until Saturday, while we were waiting to participate in a bike parade I watched my odometer add a tenth of a mile while idling. The bike was in neutral and the clutch was out. After seeing that I revved the motor and saw the mile per hour pointer move up to 5 mph then return to zero. Anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

Any ideas on how to get the Allen head screw loose without breaking it off in the tranny case? I attempted to loosen it up, but I was getting that feeling it was going to break off.

On another note, does the speed sensor have any effect of idle quality?

Well, managed to get the Vehicle Speed Sensor off without breaking the bolt. The sensor was very clean, nothing like the one pictured in the DIY Help area. Cleaned it off and reinstalled it. To this point I don't see the speedo pointer moving when I rev the motor with the tranny in neutral and the clutch out. I'll keep any eye on it and see what happens. Thanks for the advise.

Back