free website stats program Adding forward controls to an '07 FXD | Harley Davidson Forums

Adding forward controls to an '07 FXD

SilverFoXD

Contributor
Looking for advice here. I have an 07 FXD Superglide that I want to convert to forward controls.

I've looked at the Harley #49080-06 controls and the service dept. says it is four hours, minimum, labor to install. The primary assembly needs to be removed so the shift shaft can be pulled out and the holes capped off.

Has anyone installed these controls and can the shift shaft just be ignored, or the end perhaps covered with a cap? Kuryakyn makes such a cap. My buddy's 1990 FXR has unknown forward control setup and a cap over the shift shaft end.

Alternatively, has anyone installed the Kuryakyn #9063 controls? Looks like it uses the shift shaft along with another connecting rod, but the rod seems to be the lowest part on the bike and subject to being scraped. Plus, with the extra linkage is there any added slop in the system?

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

as much as i hate to agree with any HD dealer. Their way is the cleanest to look at and works great.
the cap over the stock shaft is just plain ugly IMO.
i have yet to find anything that Kuryakyn sales that fits right or doesn't look gaudy.
I'd watch Ebay for a set of HD controls, 06 - 08 all fit.

Thanks for your opinion and advice, N V PC. Looks like yours is the definitive solution here.

I'm leaning towards the HD setup and having them do the work at the next service. I don't want to cheapen the bike by doing something dumb or by low-balling on quality.

Your E-bay idea is good but then I'd have to pull the primary myself. Not sure I really want to do that on a new bike under warranty. I'll save E-bay for the non-mechanical upgrades.

Take care, and ride safe.

Silver

Thanks for your opinion and advice, N V PC. Looks like yours is the definitive solution here.

I'm leaning towards the HD setup and having them do the work at the next service. I don't want to cheapen the bike by doing something dumb or by low-balling on quality.

Your E-bay idea is good but then I'd have to pull the primary myself. Not sure I really want to do that on a new bike under warranty. I'll save E-bay for the non-mechanical upgrades.

Take care, and ride safe.

Silver
Buying the parts on EBay doesn't mean you'd have to install them, if they are the correct HD part# for your app. your dealer should have no trouble installing them without affecting your warranty.

Local dealer will only install new-in-box HD parts. I double checked after being told this at their new buyer orientation. They were talking warranty and product liability concerns.

Thanks for advising, however. My local situation precludes, however.

Local dealer will only install new-in-box HD parts. I double checked after being told this at their new buyer orientation. They were talking warranty and product liability concerns.

Thanks for advising, however. My local situation precludes, however.
You need to do 2 things 1st - Find a new dealer, 2nd call HD customer service and file a complaint against your current dealer.
Your getting the old "IT'LL VOID YOUR WARRANTY TO HAVE THE WORK DONE ANYWHERE ELSE AND IT'LL VOID YOUR WARRANTY IF YOU USE ANYTHING BUT NEW IN THE BOX HARLEY DAVIDSON PARTS OR ACCESSORIES Line and Lie!!
:mgun
By law any part, accessory, oil or grease that is factory spec. or better must NOT void your warranty.
Also as long as you follow factory service directions as described in the factory service manual anyone can do the work.

i was looking at a super glide and asked salesman what it would cost for forward controls, he said around 600.00, so i bought a 2007 wide glide...now i am looking for extension kit for the factory forward controlls lol !! would like to go more than the 2-3 inchers i have found,any ideas?

I bought my forwards from my HD Dealer and installed them myself, I just cut the shift shaft off and used the existing shift lever, HD provides a plug to put in the hole, looks good and works great.

I'm adding forward controls on my 08 Lowrider. Cutting the shift shaft off from underneath the bike worked well? Did the shaft just pull out from the outside of the primary cover then? I was also wondering if there were any clearance problems with the new shifter rod touching the top of the primary case because the stock transmission shift lever is used rather it being replaced with the longer one supplied with the forward control kit from HD.

I bought my forwards from my HD Dealer and installed them myself, I just cut the shift shaft off and used the existing shift lever, HD provides a plug to put in the hole, looks good and works great.

+1

This is definitely the way to go!

Back