free website stats program Adding a bit of oil to the sportster 48 | Harley Davidson Forums

Adding a bit of oil to the sportster 48

Harpua

Quick question,
I just checked my oil, that was changed about 1000 miles ago, and it is a bit low, but still between the safe lines... I'd like to add a bit, say 1/3-1/2 quart of oil, but have read that I should not due to it possibly hurting the engine due to fresh and broken down oil being mixed.... Will it hurt the rig or not... thanks for your time.
Harpua.

Adding a wee bit of oil will not harm your bike however if it is in between the marks then you should be ok some members prefer to run with the oil level half way between the marks as it tends to stop excess oil coming out of the breathers and drip from the air cleaner

Brian

yeah, it's just below the 1/2 mark between the two lines... just thought I'd add a bit if it won't do any harm.. Thanks!

yeah, it's just below the 1/2 mark between the two lines... just thought I'd add a bit if it won't do any harm.. Thanks!

YES IT WILL....You HAVE to run it at least for a couple minutes BEFORE checking oil....... At the cold level, it will be down More than a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch from the top HOT level...... DON't add...

The oil does Sump when sitting... I HAVE Not seen one yet that Doesn't... IF i added oil on my first check WITHOUT starting the motor for a short idle, It shows way LOW and IT isn't..

False readings on these bikes because of the position of the oil tank and GRAVITY...

IF you start it and ride it , Check it HOT and get used to doing it that way so when you put it away AFTER a ride, you know where the oil is.... Unless a big puddle of oil under it on the next ride,,,, NO cold check is needed...

I'm Just trying to save you TROUBLE,,, Been thar,done that.....:)

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, earlier in the day I checked the oil level while she was cold..... around the time of the post.. After work I headed home on the bike and checked the oil level soon after parking back home... I actually checked it 4 times for the next 15 minutes after parking.. and it still seemed just a bit low.... so I added about 1/3-1/2 quart just to get'r to the mid section between the dip stick 'ok' lines... but thank you for the reminder to check it hot...
:cheers Ride Safe

I Like to add a little oil to the bike to Freshen the oil. Never will harm anything.It actually does good..

On my 06 sport R, It will really drop Oil past the bypass valve into the motor when sat overnight. Oil Hardly shows on the stick.. I always start the engine and Not blipping the throttle give it a minute or so to pump out the sumped oil... I then Know LIKE You do now Where the cold oil level is...

Watch your bike and Hopefully it may Not develop the issue common for me and a lot of others..

If I knew you had checked when warm/Hot I would of stated it a little different..:D
Some of the new bikes Don't have the problem of the oil sumping into the motor when sitting.. NONE of the sportys I have owned have ever held the oil out...:lolrolling

signed....BUBBIE

My Sporty does not like to be overfilled...has to be 1/2 between the full and add lines or slightly less, when hot on the jiffy stand. If I EVEN fill it a 1/8" over half, on a hot day with the bike slightly parked on an incline towards the jiffy stand, a small puddle of oil will be on the ground...GUARANTEED.

No the bike does not "ACT" different, but I perform better being on good talking terms with my gal...when she rides with me and that oil mists up onto her "designer" jeans or boots...one or both of us is not going to be happy...:s

Back