free website stats program add oil to filter? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

add oil to filter?

I fill 'em as full as possible on all my vehicles. IMHO it's better for the motor and is not messy if you don't overfill the filter so oil spills everywhere.

The majority of us Harley riders change our oil more often (or at less miles) than recommended, using high dollar oils, and filters. Why WOULDN'T you take the extra time to put some oil in the filter before installing it? Costs nothing, and it makes me feel like I'm doing everything right, and an perk of doing it yourself.

Good point, I still believe that it help, I am sure people will argue but hey to each their own, I got to much money in my motor to let it starve for oil even if only for 2 seconds. :D

I'm with the guys that pre-fill the filter. That's the way we were taught in school, & after 33 years of doing it that way on everything I own, & never had a problem, then why change now?

I work as a heavy equipment operator, and sometimes service, trucks, loaders, dozer, graders. Alot of our equipment is new or newer. The manufactuers are now telling us not to prefill even the fuel filters. They are worried about contamation from fulids, and the newer engines, and hyd. keep enough oil to fast fill when the unit is turned on. We have to use the hand pumps for the fuel filter.
I do not prefil my hd's filters, just coat the seals.:newsmile09:

I have never filled the filter prior to installation. However I do crank the bike a few times with the kill switch off. New oils do stay coated to metals even when the engine is off.

But it's a simple procedure and it certainly can't hurt anything.

I have always pre filled the oil filters prior to fitting them otherwise engine runs for a few seconds on first start with no oil as the filter is being filled up

Brian

With Brian all the way. It makes a lot of sense. Why have air circulating instead of oil even for a little while?

dont really matter on an evo, as the oil filter is on the return side ie after the oil has passed through the engine before returning to the oil tank, on a TC filter is on the feed side so the pump has to fill the filter before pumping around the engine. everyone always says most engine damage occurs at start up so get that oil in there asap. the best thing to do on an evo is run the engine with no filter on to pump all the old oil out before fitting the filter, you can see the oil color change after 3/4 liter or so.

Back