free website stats program add oil to filter? | Harley Davidson Forums

add oil to filter?

09 deluxe

I have an 09 deluxe with the 96b engine. I just bought it. I have seen some video saying that when you change the oil you should add some oil to the new filter. I have looked at some of the other threads but can't seem to find any specific info to my engine.

Is this true for the 96b engine?
As well, is the HD filter for the 96b engine different when using synthetic oil?
(I'm not sure what's in there now but I want to put synthetic in it. It has 1950 miles on it, when I bought it)

thanks for your help

I have an 09 deluxe with the 96b engine. I just bought it. I have seen some video saying that when you change the oil you should add some oil to the new filter. I have looked at some of the other threads but can't seem to find any specific info to my engine.

As well, is the HD filter for the 96b engine different when using synthetic oil?
(I'm not sure what's in there now but I want to put synthetic in it. It has 1950 miles on it, when I bought it)

thanks for your help

Some folks like to pre-soak their filters so that the element is not dry when the engine starts. I do not do this, but some others do. If you choose to presoak the filter element, add about a pint to the filter and let it sit until the oil has saturated the element. Otherwise, you might have oil coming out of the filter as you try to mount it. This can present a more serious problem if the oil gets on your front motor mount. You should take action to prevent this from happening, and to clean off any oil that does get on the mount.

TQ

i usually fill mine half way before i install ..let oil soak in ... lot less time for it to have to pump up .. does it do any good ?? cant say makes me feel better

you use the same filter for syth oil that you do for regular oil

IMO, don't/no need to add oil to filter. No matter how careful you are - it runs all over (messy) & isn't needed (won't harm engine). Just make sure to run a bead of oil on the rubber o-seal so the filter doesn't "bond" to your engine.

Filter's the same - nothing different b/c of oil type (reg vs. synth). Good on you to go w/synth & it might be a good time to dump tranny & primary as well...get all fresh.

I put some oil in my filter before installing it, and I never have had any oil spill out of it. I do it because it makes me feel better also, like Bud says, does it help, who knows, guess it is one of those preference things.

I agree its not needed but gets the oil circulated and builds up oil pressure faster. I do it as I hate to see the low oil pressure light on while the dry oil filter is filling up.

It goes back to when cars with turbo chargers came out. The turbo bearings spin at very high rpm's and running the bearings dry for even a short time could damage then. Also used to pull coil wire and crank starter till oil light went out. Don't try pulling coil wire now as you can ruin your electronic ignition.

I don't have my 2009 HD Softail Service Manual yet, but the HD 2008 Sportster Service Manual tells you to add 4 oz. of oil to the new filter and let it soak for awhile.

thanks for your help

Generally recommended that you fill the oil filter at least 1/2 full to facilitate oil flow prior to starting bike. Less air cavitation and less absorbtion time for filter media to be oil wetted...being it is like a sponge. If you use the recommended "catch tray" (see Self Help tips for details) and install it uhhh quickly, won't even spill a drop.

I have always pre filled the oil filters prior to fitting them otherwise engine runs for a few seconds on first start with no oil as the filter is being filled up

Brian

I always Partially fill my filter,just out of habbit I guess, I think it's more important on sporty's, I don't think new twin cam service manuals call for it anymore but sporty's still do (Partially fill oil filter before installation to minimize the time required for buildup of oil pressure when engine is first started) I would however put a thin film of oil on the rubber seal before installing filter.

I have always pre filled the oil filters prior to fitting them otherwise engine runs for a few seconds on first start with no oil as the filter is being filled up

Brian

NOW Brian' quote IS A GOOD ONE..... BECAUSE: IT HITS NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD......

Why would ANYONE want their motor TO TAKE LONGER to pump up oil pressure????

THAT LITTLE TIME IT TAKES THE OIL TO FILL THE FILTER***STARVES THE OTHER PARTS OF THE MOTOR...... NO BACK PRESSURE on oil while filter is empty,,,

OIL FLOWING into the empty filter STEALS the oil away from the engine parts if only for a couple of EXTRA seconds as OIL WILL TAKE the "Path of Least Resistance".......

??? what say you HOOPLE

OIL PRESSURE and OIL movement into the engine is on HOLD until the filter gets FULL and only then does it become a FULLY pressured system LUBING as it should..

so if you DON"T CARE or FEEL the NEED ,,,,,,, you DON'T HAVE to Fill the oil filter first....

GLAD to see there are a few who do care enough to do so and I AM ONE!

JUST MY WAY....... ALSO...........

signed....BUBBIE

Back