free website stats program Add a tach | Harley Davidson Forums

Add a tach

I posted some questions a while back about installing a tach and for the first time got very few answers. I think your bike is still the dual fire coil so intallation would be straigtforward. If it is dual fire you may need an adapter. Good luck. I think a tach is a great addition. I am still looking for any tips or things to be careful about or any other helpful hints for wiring in a dual fire adapter.

I dont have any experience with that particular tach but for the price you cant hardly go wrong. I have the HD mini tach on mine and to be honest I am not very impressed with it. For some reason condensation tends to build inside the lens causing it to fog. I've never seen this happen on other guages so I'm not sure if it's normal for this model or just happened to me.

If you end up getting it give us some feedback on how it went for you.

thanks for the replies guys . when I decide for sure bwhat I want to get , I'll post itnand the results ... thanks

thanks for the replies guys . when I decide for sure bwhat I want to get , I'll post itnand the results ... thanks

You can call J&P on the phone and they have folks that can clarify if the tach has been calibrated for dual or single fire coils. You may (or may not) need an adapter.

I looked at the install PDF at the J&P site and it's pretty common for a tach hook up. One wire for ground (to any black wire on the harness), one for the light, (usually an orange with white stripe on HDs), one to the negative (plug side) of the coil terminal (see your manual if in doubt on that), and one to the positive (battery feed) coil terminal.

If I'm not mistaken (which I could very well be) that looks like a dual fire hookup. I had a single fire tach once before on my TC 96 and it only hooked one wire into one side of the single fire coil, the other 3 hooked into the harness. But call J&P and if they can't help you get them to give you the phone number of the tach manufacturer.

Back