free website stats program actual tank capacity | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

actual tank capacity

When my light comes on if I get gas immediately (and I usually do) it holds 2.2 to 2.8.....I'm not one of those anal about gas mileage and have never really checked the actual mileage on the bike....

Just a good practice to check fuel mileage, not anal at all. If you monitor your fuel mileage and it suddenly drops 5-7 mpg it usually indicates a problem like fouled plug, leak or worse. You will see this a lot faster than "seat of the pants" feeling that your bike needs maintenance. Also should do this when doing other routine tasks that are commonly forgotten, tire inspection & pressure, fluids checks - oils & brakes, controls (clutch, brake pedal/lever), belt drives, critical fasteners etc. :s

Fill gas to the neck/breather tube base, zero your odometer. After 100 or 120 miles, refill to same height note the gallons (modern pumps are digital and should have state inspection certification stamp) get a receipt writing down the mileage on your odometer and later calculate miles divided by gallons...easy as pie and should be part of your maintenance regimen. :newsmile105:

I have found on my Sporty that on long trips I can squeeze out 47-48 mpg freeway...40 mpg mixed city and highway. When I had fouled/old plugs my mileage had dropped to 34-36 mpg mixed. :small3d007:

I've put in 5.12 and 5.15, and I can tell you, at that point, you're looking for liquor stores too. Anything combustible.

Youre all set now Biglew, 6 gallon tank on that new one.Although I will say the fluctuation of mileage between tanks is scarey on the new ones.37mpg this trip,44 mpg on that one.

Back