free website stats program actual tank capacity | Harley Davidson Forums

actual tank capacity

arkie

Can anyone tell me how much fuel Harley's 5 gallon tank really holds?

I routinely run mine down to where reserve says I have 20-30 miles left with the fuel gauge on empty and then can only put in 3.5 to 3.7 gallons before reaching the 'full' point in the fill tube which may be 2 inches below the fuel cap. This, with the bike on the side stand - just a typical fill up. Is 5 gallons an absolutely full, running over the brim, fill-up? I have a distinct feeling that when I think I have a full tank of gas I really have less than 5 gallons.

Just curious about the 'truth in advertising' vs. real world fill-ups.

Last Friday my gas light came on my 03 ultra but I kept going. Stalled 5 times going to the gas station. Took 5.11 gallons. Probably the gas station needs a visit from the state. I think I could have pushed in another half a gallon. Lesson learned is when the light goes on get gas

You might not be getting a full, fill-up too. If you insert the pump all the way in and let it run till it stops I usually find myself at least .5 gallon or sometimes more short. So then I hold the nozzle up and pump in whatever else I can.

Might try one of these McCuff just saw this on Orange County Choppers the other day. Thinking about getting one myself.

Your gauge is off, the typical 5 gallon tank holds about 5.1 depending on carb or fuel injection.

If you want to adjust it your self, here's how.

Fuel Gauge and Sender Test - Harley Davidson Community

First, thanks for your reply. But, after looking at the 3 step procedure, the 'tests' are for a defective sender or a defective gauge, or loose wiring. My sender is sending and the gauge is displaying all the way from full to empty. What I don't find is any reference to 'adjustments or callibrations'.

And on the same topic, what is the algorithm or formula used to determine reserve? Is it dependent on the mechanical functions of the sender and gauge?

I guess I'm still trying to understand how my gauge shows full when I full up, gradually works its way towards or to empty, my reserve meter shows a relatively fair tracking to the gauge's trek toward empty, and when the gauge reaches empty AND my reserve hits 30 or less, I still can't put 4 gallons of gas into the tank no matter how carefully I manipulate the hose thing or set the lean angle of the bike or generally do everything possible to get as much fuel as possible into the tank.

I've filled up twice in the last few days since my first post on the subject, each time trying to run it as far as I dare before filling up (I've never seen the reserve warning light yet, if that means anything) based on the reserve number, and I've put in 3.6 gallons and 3.8 gallons those two times. Each time my reserve meter showed I had 25-30 miles left.

??

jeff

That test will show the resistance in ohms for the various fuel levels in the tank. To alter the reading on the gauge and when the reserve light comes on, it's necessary to bend the float arm to achieve the proper reserve and fuel level resistance to operate the gauge properly.

The gauge is registering voltage which is altered by a rheostat in the tank that the float is attached to which gives you a reading of the fuel level. If you look at step 2, it shows you the proper resistance.

When my light comes on if I get gas immediately (and I usually do) it holds 2.2 to 2.8.....I'm not one of those anal about gas mileage and have never really checked the actual mileage on the bike....

Last Friday my gas light came on my 03 ultra but I kept going. Stalled 5 times going to the gas station. Took 5.11 gallons. Probably the gas station needs a visit from the state. I think I could have pushed in another half a gallon. Lesson learned is when the light goes on get gas

I also have an '03 Ultra and when the light comes on the fuel gage still shows at least a 1/4 tank. Both times this has happened I was within 5 miles of a gas station and then filled up. On both occassions the tank took 5.0 to the top. I've also believe when the light comes on, get gas. I'm getting 38 - 43 mpg, so at 160 or so miles, I look for gas stations and always reset the trip odometer after a fillup. If anyone has a method for re-calibrating the gauge on a Touring bike please pass it along.

Later

I am not real sure but I believe it will be a hit and miss type adj. I took my fuel pump/sender loose from my 03 ultra and must have moved the float arm because now when my low fuel light comes on it holds about 4 3/4 gallons where it use to hold 4 gallons. You will have to move the float arm up a little and try it. The only other way I can think of is pour all the gas out and put one gallon in and adj the arm till the low fuel light is on. It is kinda hard to actually empty the tank and get exactly one gallon unless you would drive the bike till it run out and then put one gallon in. Otherwise you will have some gas left in the tank when driving and running out compared to emptying it out manually.

I get around 42mpg avg/combined hwy/city with my injected '04 TourGlide. It is Stage One with true duals. Fuel light comes on with a personal comfort zone of 15-25mi left. If it's windy, I'm lookin' for gas. Ditto if I'm two up and loaded down. Rated at 5gal, usually fill up 4.6-4.8gal, but once put 5.179gal in it, and I'm sure I'd have been walking real soon, though it wasn't sputtering yet. I'm just glad I got some gas!

Happy Motorin'! -F-

Back