free website stats program Activation Code 99 - What to do? | Harley Davidson Forums

Activation Code 99 - What to do?

nuker02

I have an 02 FLSTCI with the check engine light on. Bike is stock and runs fine. Bike does not have a security system on it. Light came on 2 days ago while riding. It has a code 99 - password problem. Any idea what causes this and what to do to correct it?

Last edited:
Unfortunately this thread just has a code 99 in the list as a password failure. I was looking for information on how to correct the problem.

Since you stated that your bike does not have a security system, if you read the text the code will go away after 50 cycles of the ign. I think the only other way to get rid of it is to have the dealer cancel it.

Thanks for the reply HDDON.

Since the check engine light stays on all the time I am assuming the code is a current one and not a historic code. If I am correct the check engine light will never turn off until the problem is fixed. That is why I was looking for advice on how to correct a code 99 (missing or incorrect password).

I saw some posts on marrying the TSM system, but that may not be related to this. I read that the "password" is not really a password but more of a system component recognition complete signal. I don't know why mine would have changed after all these years.

The bike is running fine, so I am reluctant to try the marry procedure if it is not the correct thing to try.

Any suggestions on how to correct the password?

Found a solution for getting the current code 99 (password problem) to cancel and now become a historic code.

I found a thread by Glider that was related to a TSM malfunction.
Glider's post was listed as "Missing Password".

I took the fuses out for 10 minutes and then put them back in and turned the ignition on. The check engine light comes on for a few seconds, then off for about 2 seconds, then on again for about 2 seconds and then goes out and stays out. Now it must just be logged as a historic code and will eventually clear after 50 starts.

If you see this - Thanks Glider.

:D

Now you know why he is our go to guy!!! Way to hang in there and get the problem solved.

Found a solution for getting the current code 99 (password problem) to cancel and now become a historic code.

I found a thread by Glider that was related to a TSM malfunction.
Glider's post was listed as "Missing Password".

I took the fuses out for 10 minutes and then put them back in and turned the ignition on. The check engine light comes on for a few seconds, then off for about 2 seconds, then on again for about 2 seconds and then goes out and stays out. Now it must just be logged as a historic code and will eventually clear after 50 starts.

If you see this - Thanks Glider.

:D

Any takers that he won't??? :D

I eventually will see it all given some time :D

Glad you found the solution, it's all posted here over the years I've been here, all it takes is persistence and searching. :cheers

Now if we could get everybody to try a search, we'll be doing good!:D

Don't be so modest old friend. 95% of knowledge is knowing where to find the information, but the information has to be there to find!!

Back