free website stats program Accessory switch FLHRC 2012 | Harley Davidson Forums

Accessory switch FLHRC 2012

czopko

Hello guys, I bought a GPS and saw some installing directly to the battery, under the seat. If I buy a plug to fit the spare one near the accessory switch it will work or it´s necessary more? Thought that when I´m not using the GPS I would only have to turn the switch off and vice versa.

Most modern gps systems work off 5 volts which is the power supplied through a computer usb port
So if you wire it direct to the bike power system and give it 12 volts it may fry it
Usually the in car power leads for use with the lighter / power socket have voltage reduction built into them

Brian

Hello Brian, thanks for the quick reply!
The GPS is a G360M for motorcycles trademark ORANGE COOL INC.
It came with a DC adapter attached to its suppport and its input is DC12V-24V and output 5V 1.5A.
If its voltage is correct, can you tell me if is that ok to put a connector on it, cause it came just with the 2 wires alone, without any conector.
And if possible to inform what´s the type of connector do I have to buy!
PS. Near the handlebar it has a spare plug, can you tell me if its the accessory conector?
Thanks again.
Cris

It does sound like you have the correct stuff for wiring into the bike however my knowledge of touring bike wiring is very limited as all my bikes are older evo bikes that have no fancy electrical stuff so if it was me i would run a wire from the battery through an in line fuse to the power adaptor and another from the adaptor to ground and put a switch on one of the wires however your bike may have all that you need already there

Brian

Hello guys, I bought a GPS and saw some installing directly to the battery, under the seat. If I buy a plug to fit the spare one near the accessory switch it will work or it´s necessary more? Thought that when I´m not using the GPS I would only have to turn the switch off and vice versa.

Are you talking about buying the male plug to go into your existing acc plug under the seat ? (I think it's a deutsch)

If so then the answer is yes. That will give you switched 12v-14v system power. Make sure you are hooking to the one with more than one wire to it though. Some bikes (most) come with a second acc plug that has a single heavier gauge red wire. You can still use that one too, BUT it is not switched and is positive hot all the time and requires you to create your own ground.

Hello Brian, thanks for the quick reply!
The GPS is a G360M for motorcycles trademark ORANGE COOL INC.
It came with a DC adapter attached to its suppport and its input is DC12V-24V and output 5V 1.5A.
If its voltage is correct, can you tell me if is that ok to put a connector on it, cause it came just with the 2 wires alone, without any conector.
And if possible to inform what´s the type of connector do I have to buy!
PS. Near the handlebar it has a spare plug, can you tell me if its the accessory conector?
Thanks again.
Cris

You can just splice into any orange/white wire for system switched power and any black wire for a ground. However it is neater and more weather proof etc etc if you use the accessory plug. I posted all those HD plug part numbers up a good while back, I will have to see if I can find it.

You can purchase the following at your local HD, prices shown are about 6 months old. It's for the deutsch male insert plug; This same plug used to work on all HD bikes in my 2007 year model, but check it out with your dealer. Search these part numbers out at your online HD dealer and see what you come up with.

HD#------------------DESCRIPTION---------------LOCAL PRICE
72114-94BK--SEALED SOCKET HOUSING----------4.50---(ACTUAL HOUSING OF CONNECTOR W/ LOCK PLATE)
72154-94----SECONDARY LOCK, 4 SOCKET--------.70---(WEATHER SEAL)
72191-94----STAMPED AND FORMED SOCKET-----4.00---(PACK OF 4 CRIMP PINS)

With this you can plug into your Cust Accy plug and just run wire out into 'whatever'. Your GPS unit, or if you have other items you want to run also, you could pigtail out of it into a Molex, Duestch, Delphi or whatever connector. I personally like the smaller 2 wire Delphi weather pack connectors.

You will need a crimper to make this up. The prices for some versions of them are scary, give me some time and I will find the one I bought for $30 and it worked great on those pins and sockets.
------------
The existing "switched" Cust Accy plug (on mine) has the following wires, black is ground, the two o/r wires are switched to ignition, r/y 'adds' rear lighting items. So ...... put the wires in your new plug to match up with one of the o/r wires and the ground.

The additional purchase #70264-94A is an HD add on pigtail unit that spreads into two pigtails giving you 2 ACC plug options. That's only if you need to run something else besides your GPS (and you could just make up your own pig tail add on but last I checked they weren't too expensive)
------------
The non switched B+ connector is fed from the TSSM battery terminal and is hot all the time and has one single red positive wire.

It also has an additional purchase #70270-04 HD add on pigtail unit that comes with 3 pigtails and can be also used for additional accessory items, but ground must be created and inline switches installed if hot all the time not desired.
------------
In addition, part number 91843-97 is a cigarette lighter type power outlet with a waterproof end cap. Can be used with gps etc.
Approximately 12inches of cable included, and plugs into the above #72104-94BK (or pigtail #70264-94A thereof).
Doesn't sound like the cig lite thing is what you need though.

If you don't already have them, these will do it.

As you may have found it's sometimes difficult to find a crimper that states it will do AMP connectors. This one only said Delphi, but the teeth on it looked like it would also do AMPs so I bought it awhile back at Amazon.

The finished crimp looks just like the HD ones. You just have to decipher which size crimp hole to use on them. I've done Delphi, Deutsch, AMP and Molex with these. The insulation crimp is one size larger than the wire crimp. It's got sizes to do just about any pin/socket crimp same as pliers I've seen selling for $150. When I bought it was only $30, now it's probably a few bucks more. Now admittedly some of the higher priced pliers have a ratchet system that will crimp both the insulation and the conductor all in one go. But for my money I don't mind pulling it out and selecting a different size tooth and recrimping all for $30.

Amazon.com: Delphi Packard Weatherpack Crimper Tool Kit: Automotive

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for your viewing I found these links in some files I had saved on my hard drive. But you can buy the plug (and the dual pigtail if you need it) at your local HD dealer about as cheap as anywhere.

Here's a pic of the pigtail add-on option. It uses the same plug (on the left) as the same single plug you would need to install your GPS wires in. Notice they've got them going in one side of the plug. The other holes are for accy lighting only and is tapped into the light system thru the bikes harness.

Harley-Davidson Switched Circuit Adapter Harness - Touring - 70264-94A

Here's a link to the Deutsch Catalog at Retrocycle.com

Custom Chrome Page 0477

Here's a link to a PDF on the HD dual pigtail add-on and an assembly sheet on the male plug. In this PDF primarily for the pigtail, you will also notice the 72114-94BK part number shown on the plug list for the housing, (which I gave you in the list above)

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J01544.pdf

Brian, as I could see what I have to do is buy this dual pigtail conector and adapt the GPS wires, is that correct?
I´m sending some images of the conector near the fork and below the accessory switch and one picture of the moment the bike was being delivered from the HD dealer last month.
As you can see the conector on my bike has two wires one red/white and one black.
Cris

Attachments

• DSC00156.JPG
    DSC00156.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00157.JPG
    DSC00157.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00155.jpg
    DSC00155.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00114.jpg