free website stats program Accessory Plug | Harley Davidson Forums

Accessory Plug

fiveoh455

I plugged a cigarette type accessory plug into the accessory line under my seat (2009 Electra Glide Classic.) When I use the brake (front or back) it cuts power to the plug.
Anyone have an idea as to why? Is it designed this way?

Are you saying it temporarily looses power while the brake light is on and then resumes power when you let the brake off or is it blowing the fuse? Also what do you have plugged into the accessory plug?

It loses power when the brakes are applied, then comes back on when brakes are released. It isn't blowing the fuse. I had a Garmin GPS plugged into the accessory plug. I should add, the accessory plug I have is an HD part, not an aftermarket.

Another question I have is, when the GPS is plugged in and you light up the brakes, is the brake just as bright as if the GPS is NOT plugged in or does it seem dimmer?

I would not be suprised if that was the case, a wiring diagram, or pop the seat up and follow the wires; should see a fuse, and if the other wire goes to a relay, there you go.

Anyone ever get cond hands with heated glove sitting at a long stop light LOL :D

I plugged a cigarette type accessory plug into the accessory line under my seat (2009 Electra Glide Classic.) When I use the brake (front or back) it cuts power to the plug.
Anyone have an idea as to why? Is it designed this way?

Sounds like the hot wire being used is the R/Y on the accessory plug, labelled 2. This one connects to the rear stoplight switch, among others, and is switched.

If you can, reconnect the hot wire to one of the two O/R wires on the accessory plug, labelled 1 and 3. These connect directly back to the Cust Acc 15a fuse and should be continuously live.

Ground remains the black one.

This info is per my '07 Dyna Service Manual but I believe the wiring should match your bike. When I wired up a plug for my GPS I used a two contact trailer wiring plug with the hot to the orange/red and the ground to the black. Worked continuously, or did until the GPS switch went south.

Good luck.

SilverFoXD, your post sounds like a solution to the problem I'm having, my daughter bought crash bar fog lamps(no brand name) from someone at her job who put them on his bike but did not like them my bike is a 09 Street Glide so I bought the pins and plug housing wired in the black and white wires to pins, plugged it into the plug turned on the ACC switch, lights come on grab the front brake lights go out and brake light stays bright is one pin the ground and which pin goes to the ACC switch any idea??

Back