free website stats program AC compressor question | Harley Davidson Forums

AC compressor question

R_W_B

Hey guys I replaced the water pump and thermostat on my 88 Chevy truck yesterday. I have a question on the AC compressor unit. The pics below show an electrical connector on the back of the compressor that was broken and just sorta hanging on the pin loose. I'm wondered what it is (or what it's called) so I can research replacing it if possible.

This first pic is an overall view to orient where I am referring to. The AC unit and the connector are at left with the blue arrow pointing to the connector.

1335535.jpg

This next pic is a close up of the broken electric connector and I have separated it. You can barely see the small pin still on the AC unit (in front of arrow) and over it slides the connector (shown a couple of inches to the left). It's obviously broken though since it does not slide tightly and it won't stay on the pin.

1335536.jpg

More in likely it is a low or high pressure cut off sensor..... If ac inop should not be a problem. sometime when compressor bad if disconnected compressor will not engage.

Picture looks like You have a R4 compressor, the switch should be called high pressure switch. You will need to have A/C evacuated to replace the switch.then recharged.

What model of truck.

Silverado, 1/2 ton, 350ci small block

More in likely it is a low or high pressure cut off sensor..... If ac inop should not be a problem. sometime when compressor bad if disconnected compressor will not engage.

Picture looks like You have a R4 compressor, the switch should be called high pressure switch. You will need to have A/C evacuated to replace the switch.then recharged.

I need to have it recharged anyhow, but it looks like part of the connector base was built into the compressor. Anyhow thanks for all the replies, I will have a mechanic look at it, and see what the pain level will be.

There should be a snap ring that holds the switch in the compressor.

Thanks I will check that out. It just looks either broken or something is missing. My AC is still cooling by the way. But my fan doesn't always run at high when I select high. Sometimes it just stays on low. I figured this was a separate issue with the fan speed switch ??

The A/C will till work the switch is used to shut system down if pressures get to high so not to cause damage to compressor or blowup a hose.

Back