Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Makes no difference to me

Votes: 27 25.7%
  • Don't understand them

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just looking at the results of this poll so far and at the risk of offending alot of people I wish that you would take a collision avoidance course,then I don't think that you would be so dependant on A.B.S.

maybe we could do away with our insurance too. If we took a course, we would never again be in a position that we couldn't control...Let me know how that works out for you.

things can happen quickly, and deer don't understand the rules of the road. I agree that riders should always work to improve their riding and evasive manuvering skills, but things out of our control happen quickly, and adrenaline kicks in quickly. ABS is one tool to mitigate the overwhelming conditions in an accident situation.

Biglew you misunderstood what I said.I feel that many riders are too dependant on the hi-tech instead of having the ability,especially the younger ones who have only grown up with it. JMO

I was just looking at the results of this poll so far and at the risk of offending alot of people I wish that you would take a collision avoidance course,then I don't think that you would be so dependant on A.B.S.

I have been riding for over 30 years and feel quite comfortable with my braking skills. I bought ABS because I feel they give an advantage in emergency situations. I am fully aware that in some cases they may hinder rather than help, buy in my opinion, the advantage outweigh's the risk. After owning them and using them I am more convinced than ever. I respect your opinion as well. Bottom line is if peeps want em, buy em. If you don't want em then don't buy em. No wrong answer. But riding skills were not one of my considerstions as I feel mine are least as good as most riders. Ride safe. :hii

If you do everything exactly correctly, you can stop faster without the ABS but, when the cager cuts across two lanes to make an illegal left turn in the rain on a foggy morning, they sure come in handy.

I sure could have used them the time I was riding home in the pouring rain in rush hour city traffic and the metro bus in front of me suddenly blew the transmission and dumped gallons of tranny oil all over the road creating a near frictionless surface. I ended up pinned under the bus watching a car spin out of control directly at me...it's front bumper stopped six inches from my face.

Or the time I had to go through a one lane tunnel under a railroad track (it was about 50 feet long) and a car came barrelling down the tunnel (the road curved on both sides so there was no way to see oncoming traffic until you were both IN the tunnel - the cager completely ignored the compressed air horn I blew before entering the tunnel...) It was raining, everything was slick, and everything happened so fast I don't think a professional race car driver would have had the reflexes to not do what I did - grab the front brake (I didn't even remember grabbing it) and go down like a ton of bricks. Again, car stopped inches from me...

I'd pay a lot to have ABS...didn't even know Harley offered it. Can I get it installed on my 2008 XL 1200?

I'd bet dollars to donuts that if SCIENTIFIC tests were conducted, ABS would whip non-ABS 90% of the time. But I do agree they have to be designed well and made to endure the inevitable ravages of time and the elements.

And yes, even with ABS if a person rides poorly, they're still in the danger zone. Definitely get as much training as you can. (Off note, if you live in the DC area, an EXCELLENT bike course is Motorcycle Riding Concepts: Motorcycle Riding Concepts Taught by motorcycle cops.

I'm old enough to remember when seat belts were mandated...and riding helmetless was legal. I remember people hysterical over seat belts (what if you go off a bridge? You could drown trying to get out of the seat belt...) and the uproar over helmets. As a libertarian, I'd don't think either should be mandatory...but not wearing them is like filling your gas tank while smoking...you're just taking very dangerous unnecessary risks.

Seat belts saved my life once, and ditto my bike helmet at least three times.

Two thumbs up for ABS!!

Last edited:
I sure could have used them the time I was riding home in the pouring rain in rush hour city traffic and the metro bus in front of me suddenly blew the transmission and dumped gallons of tranny oil all over the road creating a near frictionless surface. I ended up pinned under the bus watching a car spin out of control directly at me...it's front bumper stopped six inches from my face.

Or the time I had to go through a one lane tunnel under a railroad track (it was about 50 feet long) and a car came barrelling down the tunnel (the road curved on both sides so there was no way to see oncoming traffic until you were both IN the tunnel - the cager completely ignored the compressed air horn I blew before entering the tunnel...) It was raining, everything was slick, and everything happened so fast I don't think a professional race car driver would have had the reflexes to not do what I did - grab the front brake (I didn't even remember grabbing it) and go down like a ton of bricks. Again, car stopped inches from me...

I'd pay a lot to have ABS...didn't even know Harley offered it. Can I get it installed on my 2008 XL 1200?

I'd bet dollars to donuts that if SCIENTIFIC tests were conducted, ABS would whip non-ABS 90% of the time. But I do agree they have to be designed well and made to endure the inevitable ravages of time and the elements.

And yes, even with ABS if a person rides poorly, they're still in the danger zone. Definitely get as much training as you can. (Off note, if you live in the DC area, an EXCELLENT bike course is Motorcycle Riding Concepts: Motorcycle Riding Concepts Taught by motorcycle cops.

I'm old enough to remember when seat belts were mandated...and riding helmetless was legal. I remember people hysterical over seat belts (what if you go off a bridge? You could drown trying to get out of the seat belt...) and the uproar over helmets. As a libertarian, I'd don't think either should be mandatory...but not wearing them is like filling your gas tank while smoking...you're just taking very dangerous unnecessary risks.

Seat belts saved my life once, and ditto my bike helmet at least three times.

Two thumbs up for ABS!!

to my knowledge, Harley only offers ABS for the Touring line, and V-Rods. And, they are only available from the factory. I will be getting them on my '09 FLHRC.

ride safe
Drew

:bigsmiley23::bigsmiley23::bigsmiley23:
in my years of riding i have found that when the time comes, as it always does, that you are in an emergency situation the body always takes over and uses too much pressure, (ie, lets lock the front or rear)! the last two bikes i have had do have abs and I will assure you that I would never have a bike that didn't, unless it was an "antique". For those who are not sold, all that you need to know is that for many years Harley only offered abs on the police bikes and not to us. I love the fact that this "hog" will stop on a dime, whether in rain or in the sun without the tires locking. I was sold when I went to the website and checked out the video that was posted by Harley and also read several articles about the abs system that was developed over many years. As for me, ABS!!!!:small3d017::bigsmiley23:

I find it interesting to see all the different arguements for and against. It's good to be able to read through and agree to disagree!:ap:ap:D

I guess it depends on whether or not the extra money is really worth it and the type of bike. I've been riding for a while without them and until it becomes standard I won't find out.

I think the motor company should install a switch that the rider can enable the ABS or disable them. I wouldnt mind them when its raining. But rather not have em on when the pavement is dry.

RJ

I think the motor company should install a switch that the rider can enable the ABS or disable them. I wouldnt mind them when its raining. But rather not have em on when the pavement is dry.

RJ

Excellent idea RJ.

Lots of good information here. You should take the courses and work on your skills (do the warmup in a parking lot at the start of each seson) to get comfortable with the brakes, clutch and all. Point being these are opinions and should be considerd for the positive aspect not as a personal attack on anyone. Dad alwys said you had two ears and one mouth because listining is twice as important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back