Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Makes no difference to me

Votes: 27 25.7%
  • Don't understand them

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an 04 ultra without ABS, and now i have an 08 Ultra with ABS. Anyone that thinks that they can control their tire skid in an emergancy situation on all road conditions does NOT have ABS on ther bike. I'm here to tell you that you can grab ALL the front and rear brakes on my bike without fear of going down in most all conditions. ABS will not stop you from going down in turns during emergancy situations, but will still out perform any manual braking.

Your 2nd post. Uh, OK stud.

I read your artical. It states that if your a PROFESIONAL WORLD CLASS DRIVER, and you meet all 6 conditions, that is is POSSIBLE to stop faster without ABS. Let's face it, #4 is the main reason a motorcyclist, even a WORLD CLASS DRIVER can benefit from ABS.

Tell me one time when you have been riding with your friends and you can gurantee them that all 6 conditions, can without a dout, be met 100% of the time.

I have attached the quote.

Extremely good riders, such as professional world-class racers, are

well-versed at threshold braking. Repeated testing with a variety of riders

and motorcycles, under a variety of conditions, have concluded that a

non-ABS bike can attain a shorter stopping distance than the identical

ABS-equipped bike, providing that all six of following criteria are met:

1) The exercise takes place on a high-traction surface.

2) The high-traction surface does not have any variables that vary the

available traction.

3) The rider knows the traction limits of the test bike on the test

track (this requires multiple attempts to hone the perfect stop).

4) The rider is mentally and physically readied for the braking exercise.

(i.e., no surprises)

5) The rider is well-trained at threshold braking, and well-practiced.

6) No human error occurs during the execution of the exercise.

Hobbit as I read all of the posts on this subject it amazes me the different opinions. but as I read your posts I'm confused are you pro ABS or anti?

sorry if i come over as righteous and telling people how to ride or blaming people this is not the case, its just a bug bear of mine that riders/drivers forget to learn

Not self righteous, just fact...its all good. ABS is a tool not a crutch or substitute for good ol' fashion riding skill...:newsmile07:

Well, almost crashed the truck early this week.A real basic 2000 Chevy Silverado.I know these trucks have had ABS for years now so youd expect those built in "FAIL SAFES" would kick in right?Not so my friends, it seems like all things mechanical have the ability to fail.In this particular instance the genius' at GM descided to incorporate the ABS sensor into the wheel bearing as a one piece assembly.Guess what happens when the wheel bearing begins to fail?The ABS descides you're on wet leaves and fully engauges.I know this is a cage and not a scoot so for comparison sake I can only say Im realy glad my truck has an emergency brake {dont think my bike does}.One would think the longer an inovation like ABS was around the safer it would become.The reality is it just gives them more time to figure out how to make it cheaper.

Well, almost crashed the truck early this week.A real basic 2000 Chevy Silverado.I know these trucks have had ABS for years now so youd expect those built in "FAIL SAFES" would kick in right?Not so my friends, it seems like all things mechanical have the ability to fail.In this particular instance the genius' at GM descided to incorporate the ABS sensor into the wheel bearing as a one piece assembly.Guess what happens when the wheel bearing begins to fail?The ABS descides you're on wet leaves and fully engauges.I know this is a cage and not a scoot so for comparison sake I can only say Im realy glad my truck has an emergency brake {dont think my bike does}.One would think the longer an inovation like ABS was around the safer it would become.The reality is it just gives them more time to figure out how to make it cheaper.

Interesting observation. Did you know that Harley has a sensor in the wheel bearing too for the ABS ? So much for the ABS argument IMO.:s

Interesting observation. Did you know that Harley has a sensor in the wheel bearing too for the ABS ? So much for the ABS argument IMO.:s

AmenTo that. And thanks Hobbit for clearing things up.

Harley has always had weak brakes and modulating them is pretty easy since you are always on them pretty hard to stop anyway.
I have always rode Jap and German bikes and was amazed at the lack of stopping power that stock Harley brakes have. But with the new Brembo brakes on the touring models I think ABS makes it much easier to control your initial braking in a true panic stop situation. My RK has them and they really grab hard both front and back. Just my $.02 worth.

Was a big reason for me to upgrade from my 07 to my 09. Barring having a bad experience with them, I don't plan on ever having another bike without them. Very nearly traded my 07 in on an 08 when they came out, now Im glad I held off one more year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back