Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Makes no difference to me

Votes: 27 25.7%
  • Don't understand them

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I needed them really bad on my 03 rkc....barely got her stopped. Was my fault a guy at a traffic signal was gawking at my bike and i was giving him a stupid look when I looked back at where I was going my lane had STOPPED!!!! Oh boy. So I had a good excuse to get the 09 ultra. I love the ABS.

DOH !!!! :small3d023: glad you got her stopped in time!!!

I have two friends that are moto cops. Both swear by ABS and convinced me to get them on my 09 Street Glide (which I did). They stated they will stop you quicker than non-ABS. The demo CD that came with the bike also confirmed that. Testing showed that ABS will stop a bike in less time and distance at the same speed. Don't understand it but now that I have ridden big bikes with and without ABS, I will not go back.

I don't have them on my 08FLHX, but I can't help but wonder if they would have prevented my accident in April. I think that ABS is a good thing, but I have seen these systems fail, or people become to dependent on the dummy-proofing of the machine.

I'd like to see some of the skid statistics if anyone has them out there. I will be willing to do a 60-0 MPH stop on my ABS-Less bike for S&G.

Hi,

It's definetely a big improvement to have ABS on a Touring which is an Heavy Bike and I think that with more & more crazy cages drivers around us, it helps to prevent an accident if quick braking is needed !

+ When it is a rainy day, it is even better to have it !

Ricardo
Paris
France

Yep, that was my exact thought. The ABS on my Van went out in the warranty period. It was covered but the dealer said it would've cost >$500 to fix.

I have it on my 09 RK and I did get the extended warranty and it was mostly for the ABS. It's a pretty sophisticated system if you look in the service manual and I'm sure the parts are not inexpensive either.

Whatever happened to drivers reflexes? It's a proven fact that an alert rider/driver can stop 20-30ft. shorter than ABS .Maybe its time that everyone quits relying on technology to keep them out of harms way and start relying on themselves.

Think you hit the nail on the head. IMO the vast majority of riders haven't practiced emergency braking enough. I include myself in that group. Other than cost, I don't see a real downside to ABS. Give Uncle Sugar enough time and it will be probably be mandated on bikes.

I have not ridin a bike with ABS but I've had a bad exprience with it on a car. A car locked up in front of me doing about 40 . when I locked up the ABS did its job and kept releasing the breaks, the problem came when I was about 2 foot from the car in front of me and all but completely stopped,The breaks released and I bumped the car, not enough to do any damage but I felt like an idiot. You are at the mercy of the abs. you can not control the breaks like you can with out abs. By growing up riding and driving on dirt and snow, and I am an heavy eqiupment operator by trade, you get the feel for ( breaking traction) when accelorating or decelorating. So obivously I don't like ABS. That being said I do believe that most people who drive today can benifit from it , not having the same oppertunity to learn how to control thier breaks. case and point , My four girls, I blieve ABS and traction control are a must for them.

I have not ridin a bike with ABS...
...that being said I do believe that most people who drive today can benefit from it , not having the same opportunity to learn how to control thier brakes. case and point , My four girls, I believe ABS and traction control are a must for them.

ABS will be sorted out before the majority of bikes will be equipped with them. Look at disc brakes...how long it took for the riding community to accept them as savoir faire...:newsmile07:

Bottom line, when it comes to emergency stopping ABS is only a tool to save our 10/10's riding skill for keeping the bike upright, collision avoidance and planning that "out" (escape route)...in the last split second decision we may have to make...! Having the reserve to make everything happen at that critical moment require Abilities, Resources & Time..."ART." Let's paint and create a masterpiece and ride well! :D

Last edited:
I had an 04 ultra without ABS, and now i have an 08 Ultra with ABS. Anyone that thinks that they can control their tire skid in an emergancy situation on all road conditions does NOT have ABS on ther bike. I'm here to tell you that you can grab ALL the front and rear brakes on my bike without fear of going down in most all conditions. ABS will not stop you from going down in turns during emergancy situations, but will still out perform any manual braking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back