Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Makes no difference to me

Votes: 27 25.7%
  • Don't understand them

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
my '05 eg police is the first one i've ever had with abs and I really like it,don't think I'll order a new one without it,I just leave myself a little extra room.

Well I have them and insisted upon them when I bought my bike. I will say now that I have read more about them, I am still glad I have them but I am more educated thanks to this forum, and I would not put as much importance on them as I did. I would still buy my bike with them, but not with the expectation they are far superior but rather an option that is right for me. I just like the fact that in a panic I can just hammer em and think about my next move...like fricken jumping off! right before impact..LOL!!! :newsmile036:

Be careful here. ABS reduces the affect of poor braking, but they don't make you stop faster. They keep you from locking wheels, which is not much fun when it's the front one. If you want to stop faster, practice technique! ABS is designed to keep shiney side up. I hope you read the entire thread, we spent quite a bit of effort to voice our understanding of the system.

I am with Biglew & Glider regarding ABS is a tool and no substitute for good assertive rider skills - and does not panic while keeping a cool head. :newsmile033:

That said, I only wish there was someway to retro-fit non touring models with ABS...but it may be beyond my lifetime riding a Sportster ...! :bigsmiley31:

Last edited:
Has anyone given any thought to the servicing dealers when the ABS needs some attention. Better make sure to get the extended warranty.

They have enough trouble fixing the simple things, you need a digital tech to work on them now. Oh, I can't wait to hear the bills for servicing them on the new bikes :D:D:D:D

Depending on the economy I hope to trade my 2005 FXDI on a 2009 FLHX. I will not take a bike wthout ABS.

I consider myself a good rider but I think ABS would give me an additional comfort level when riding in the rain or during an emergency stop.

Has anyone given any thought to the servicing dealers when the ABS needs some attention. Better make sure to get the extended warranty.

They have enough trouble fixing the simple things, you need a digital tech to work on them now. Oh, I can't wait to hear the bills for servicing them on the new bikes :D:D:D:D

Good point I had not considered. If they are like cages, when they fail your back to standard brakes. The ABS went out on one of my cages (92 full size Blazer) and when I seen how much to repair, I unhooked the electronics under the hood and they woirk like normal brakes. Been that way for the past 6 years. So, hopefully years down the road, if they fail, I will be back to the norm....I hope.
:s

Good point I had not considered. If they are like cages, when they fail your back to standard brakes. The ABS went out on one of my cages (92 full size Blazer) and when I seen how much to repair, I unhooked the electronics under the hood and they woirk like normal brakes. Been that way for the past 6 years. So, hopefully years down the road, if they fail, I will be back to the norm....I hope.
:s

Similar thing happened on my 93 Ford Ranger...ABS mechanicals live in the snow, salt, mud and muck of winter driving basically corroded it while in Illinois. Cost me about $100 in parts and about the same in labor...in California around 1998 and working fine ever since.

ABS is fail safe designed to revert back to conventional braking if, 1) senses no return pulses when processor "pings" the sensors, 2) goes into alarm/disabled mode when first fired up and processor fails built-in self test diagnostic mode verifying front & rear brake pressure and sucessful self test prior to enabling the ABS function.

Once ABS has been around for awhile, the dealer offered me choice of new or rebuilt electronics & magnetic shutter, so don't forget that aftermarket suppliers will come up to speed to help keep costs competitive. :coffee

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back